Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

How Do I Initiate A Claim

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




I have been seeing the Doc's at Va for 7 years concerning PN in my right leg. I have been placed in a brace do to foot drop caused by the PN. The gal in the clinic says I m SC for the brace. I don't know how that could have happened. I m 0% SC for hearing loss and 0% SC for Cystitis. I know have PN in my left elbow along with 5 otheir issues as I recieved a call today from my physiatrist.

Where should I start and what should I collect to show a service connection.

Thanks for any advice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

go see your service officer in the va center you are being treated in or in your hometown.dav,american legion, vfw etc. request your smr's ,servive medical records,and your cfile at the va. study every square inch and discuss them with your service officer as they will become your poa or agent.

Edited by simple fly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I would go ahead and file the claim under the VA web site. it is faster and y6ou dont have to depend on a VSO at the start.

While the claim is brewing, I would gather the evidence yourself, get copies and send them to the RO.

Then would I select a VSO and hand them everything as a copy.I would write a statement that you reserve the right to make final all decisions from your end of the deal. This makes them accountable to you if they make a bad decision, Which I am afraid to say Happens A lot and the vet gets the shaft.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

bbknor - sorry about the PN. However, prior to filing your claim you must determine how the PN came about. It is most common in people who have DM.

I do not see anything in your post that indicates you have any service connected issue which would allow service connection of the PN. So that is going to be your first step - speak with your doc and determine what is causing the PN.

To simply file a claim just to see is hard both on you and the system. I am not trying to discourage you but one must be realistic and be able to provide a clear cut connection between the PN an one's military service.

If you are unable to do this then your efforts will simply be a waste of time.

Some things to consider (if a nexus to your service can be established) are: Diabetes Mellitus, Shingles ,Vitamin deficiency, particularly B12 and folate, Autoimmune diseases, including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or Guillain-Barre syndrome, AIDS, whether from the disease or its treatment, syphilis, and kidney failure, Inherited disorders, such as amyloid polyneuropathy or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, Exposure to toxins, such as heavy metals, gold compounds, lead, arsenic, mercury, and organophosphate pesticides, Cancer therapy drugs such as vincristine (Oncovin, Vincasar), and other medications [for example antibiotics such as metronidazole (Flagyl), and isoniazid (Nydrazid, Laniazid)]

At any rate your first step should be discuss the issue with your treating PCP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Because it takes the VA such a long time might as well file the claim. This will also protect your effective date. Its as easy as writing a letter to VARO informing them that you have a claim. If you have not reviewed your service records you need to get a copy.

Start gathering medical evidence to support your claim. Like Ricky said you need to be able to demonstrate that PN is a result of your service or secondary to an existing service condition. The only other way is via an 1151 claim that you can show an injury caused by VA treatment causes you a ratable service connected disability.

Good Luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted two BVA PN awards here the other day.

These guys are correct.

It will take medical evidence to link this to your service.

Although PN is on the AO list-I have only found one case whereby the vet got PN AO award without having DMII.

You mentioned a psychiatrist-

have you formally claimed PTSD or any other mental disability as due to your service?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Berta thats doc is a physiatrist at the physical therapy clinic. I m a Gulf War vet and was wondering if the nexus could be based upon my service in Iraq. I have also been diagnosed with CRPS 2 (casualgia). I also have been diagnosed with pre-diabetis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines