Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ideas For Youtube Or Cnn Video On Veterans Issues

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I just PM'd Belle, and she has agreed to do a video on Veterans rights and post in on You tube. I asked her to be a spokesman for us because she is passionate about Veterans rights and because guys will want to watch the video just to see her!

If you have any ideas on what you would like to tell the world about Veterans rights, then this is a good time to post your story. Goodness..we can even vote on who's Veterans "story" is the best, or we could uses bits and pieces from multiple people.

I think there is a fairly good chance that if we work on this together, it could be a VERY popular Youtube or CNN video, possibly even seen by a million people.

I just dont think the politicians (or the VA) can ignore a million people watching a video!

If you have any good ideas for the video..as well as "your experience with the VA" please post them!

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I did consider using my husband's claim, but to be honest, that is still a little raw for me. I am still very angry about it, and I wouldn't want to have too much anger in the video.

This is just a personal observation but why would you speak of broncovet situation and not your own? and all the issues that have come up with you and yours dealing with tha v.a. and say that there are many many more vets with claims that have been fighting the v.a. for many more years, and claims longer than yours and how this cant be stood for type comment and that if you went to hadit then you could see for your self, and also since there is a new president in office with load voices sush as rush, or glen beck or someone like that who might be willing to bring this to the forefront of topics because of the new administration and there "promises" maybe there would be a chance that you could be heard quicker. This is all just a thought and my 2 cents worth, no disrespect meant to anyone

• Founder

this is correct hadit is not endorsing but has approved the mention of hadit and i am allowing topics linked to the youtube videos for discussion. where are posting your scripts? depending on how this goes we may need a separate for you tube stories, if so i can do that. i'm very excited for you guys it sounds like it's shaping up to be a great project.

Belle

Awesome! I posted a "possible" script, but is there another one you did? I am sure that most Vets story is better than mine, but let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Let me know the link of the script you are considering (if its not the one I posted), as I would love to read it. Did you like the one I posted?

Tbird indicated in a post she didnt know if she had time to "approve" the script, so I guess she is leaving that up to us. The way I understand it, hadit is not ENDORSING your video, but has approved its mention of www.hadit.com . Someone (tbird?) please correct me if I am wrong. I am, like you, seeking feedback from hadit members on what you guys want in the video..if its alright with Tbird, I would love it if you would do the video, post in on hadit, let us look at it, then we hadit members/Veterans/widows could hopefully offer constructive critique on how to maybe edit it and improve it before posting on youtube/cnn.

• Founder

i have some ideas on how you can collaborate on the video before you post it. belle, if you are interested take a look http://www.acrobat.com it's free and you can have meetings and collaborate on documents and other stuff...i think it would be very helpful. if you need any technical questions or other questions you think i could be helpful with please do ask.

I'm looking forward to actually making the video. I've only been photographed before, never done video... Yall gotta tell me if I look ridiculous! PLEASE tell me if I look ridiculous! :D

I want to do it in front of a brick wall... somewhat symbolic, and a really nice background, BUT, I won't have good lighting, because I'll have to do it after 1900. Also, I'd have to contend with the bugs and frogs outside making all kinds of noise.... I'm still thinking on the background, because it DOES matter. I want to look smart, not ridiculous! Thanks for the tips Carlie!

• Founder

i think starting with bronco's story is fine, you may want to define this as a series and yourself as the story teller, many veterans have stories, but do not want to be seen for a variety of reasons. you may want to title the series something like stories from the va battle and other tales of "are you serious?" just fooling around but you know what i mean set the context you are the story teller, and the stories you tell are of those veterans that still struggle through the va system, there are other stories to be told for sure of great treatment and smooth claims process, but those stories are for someone else to tell.

do let me know if i can be of any assistance and check out that http://www.acrobat.com

I did consider using my husband's claim, but to be honest, that is still a little raw for me. I am still very angry about it, and I wouldn't want to have too much anger in the video.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tbird, I looked into that website. It looks like it would be very helpful. Your idea about defining the point of the video is excellent. I hope we have enough people to allow me to do a weekly video! I'm sure there are enough stories to do a daily, but I just don't think that's possible right now. I've spent the last two days looking for a background. I found something that I think will work, without washing out my face too much. It is a light beige flat sheet. I'm going to do some test shots tonight, and see how it looks, if it isn't great, then I'll go back to the Goodwill and look for more sheets! I hope I don't have to, though! I can't WAIT to actually have the video up!

Careful. I would take out the part about giving the VA an "F". Ever heard of slander? As that is a generalized statement about all vets...might be a good idea to stay away from any generalized statement. And saying at the end that you "know" it's not an isolated incident...do you? Remember....factual. And is this the "norm" for the VA? Again, factual and that slander thing. Be very careful.

And I thought the YouTube idea had been nixed? Due to integrity issues....

For the sake of argument...

It is OK to state that the VA deserves an "F" because Belle is NOT specifying (naming) any particular person at the DVA. So, slander, defamation, etc. is MOOT, unless she specifies a particular person or facility.

It is also a Constitutional Right to voice your opinion as you see fit...as long as it doesn't contain "personally biased" slanderous/defaming language pertaining to a specific person or in this case facility.

Even though we are here stating some ridiculous claims against the DVA(and rightfully so), there are some success stories to.

I always pride myself with looking at the flip side of everything, being that there are two sides to every story, so with that said...

It is a well known fact that a vast majority of us have to prove beyond reasonable means to establish a claim, but if ALL claims were approved, just because a Veteran filed a claim, this would raise red flags with the taxpayer as to how competent the DVA is for approving ALL claims that pass through it.

eg: "TDIU claim for an ingrown toenail." Don't laugh...I would bet that someone has tried this! I have personally seen some crazy claims and items pass through my hands!

You all have to keep in mind that the DVA has to maintain a budget. This protects you and I as a taxpayer. You also have to consider that there are a lot of bogus claims made by dishonest individuals.

Unfortunately, and on the flip side, there are dishonest, unscrupulous, uneducated, disinterested, and/or prejudicial individuals that decide on claims to. They see those crazy claims (and there are many) and they unfairly judge the majority as the same.

The DVA is anything but perfect, however each case has its' quirks also.

So, prior to going on YouTube, I STRONGLY suggest that this claim or any claim for that fact is valid. You had better have supporting knowledge and law (CFR's and Case Law)to back up your claims.

Furthermore, it is also worth mentioning that even though you are using an alias name on hadit, the US Gov't. has a way of finding out who you are, and can make your life difficult, especially when you file any future claims.

aka: RETALIATION!

Also consider IF this is picked out by the media, imagine how much of a horses ass you will look like if the media decides to grill you with questions that you are unfamiliar with?!

GRANTED...Your desire to expose the DVA for it's faults are admirable, but I advise that you make sure that your "i's" are dotted and your "t's" are crossed prior to any sort of worldwide broadcast.

Additionally, if you do decide to broadcast, you could conceivably HURT and HINDER hadits' reputation, and render it as another group of angry/disgruntled Veterans just looking for a handout.

I've seen this happen to a grassroots organization "Jail for Judges", when a Congressman labeled the leader and its' followers as "Angry A s s holes"! This doesn't bode well for the organization. YES...he actually quoted that, but then apologized for the comment afterwards.

One other point...

In your attempt to expose the faults of the DVA, by using a particular Veterans case, you also may be placing yourself in a precarious position. If one statement is made, and is not accurate, and the Veterans' case is denied based on a broadcast which is inaccurate, YOU could be sued!

In closing...

Personally, I'd rather have a professional organization take a story of a Veteran, and produce it on a professionally done format. There are to many risks to us and you, if this bombs. I truly commend you for what you are trying to do, but you better do more research before you attempt this.