Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ideas For Youtube Or Cnn Video On Veterans Issues

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I just PM'd Belle, and she has agreed to do a video on Veterans rights and post in on You tube. I asked her to be a spokesman for us because she is passionate about Veterans rights and because guys will want to watch the video just to see her!

If you have any ideas on what you would like to tell the world about Veterans rights, then this is a good time to post your story. Goodness..we can even vote on who's Veterans "story" is the best, or we could uses bits and pieces from multiple people.

I think there is a fairly good chance that if we work on this together, it could be a VERY popular Youtube or CNN video, possibly even seen by a million people.

I just dont think the politicians (or the VA) can ignore a million people watching a video!

If you have any good ideas for the video..as well as "your experience with the VA" please post them!

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

For the sake of argument...

It is OK to state that the VA deserves an "F" because Belle is NOT specifying (naming) any particular person at the DVA. So, slander, defamation, etc. is MOOT, unless she specifies a particular person or facility.

It is also a Constitutional Right to voice your opinion as you see fit...as long as it doesn't contain "personally biased" slanderous/defaming language pertaining to a specific person or in this case facility.

Even though we are here stating some ridiculous claims against the DVA(and rightfully so), there are some success stories to.

I always pride myself with looking at the flip side of everything, being that there are two sides to every story, so with that said...

It is a well known fact that a vast majority of us have to prove beyond reasonable means to establish a claim, but if ALL claims were approved, just because a Veteran filed a claim, this would raise red flags with the taxpayer as to how competent the DVA is for approving ALL claims that pass through it.

eg: "TDIU claim for an ingrown toenail." Don't laugh...I would bet that someone has tried this! I have personally seen some crazy claims and items pass through my hands!

You all have to keep in mind that the DVA has to maintain a budget. This protects you and I as a taxpayer. You also have to consider that there are a lot of bogus claims made by dishonest individuals.

Unfortunately, and on the flip side, there are dishonest, unscrupulous, uneducated, disinterested, and/or prejudicial individuals that decide on claims to. They see those crazy claims (and there are many) and they unfairly judge the majority as the same.

The DVA is anything but perfect, however each case has its' quirks also.

So, prior to going on YouTube, I STRONGLY suggest that this claim or any claim for that fact is valid. You had better have supporting knowledge and law (CFR's and Case Law)to back up your claims.

Furthermore, it is also worth mentioning that even though you are using an alias name on hadit, the US Gov't. has a way of finding out who you are, and can make your life difficult, especially when you file any future claims.

aka: RETALIATION!

Also consider IF this is picked out by the media, imagine how much of a horses ass you will look like if the media decides to grill you with questions that you are unfamiliar with?!

GRANTED...Your desire to expose the DVA for it's faults are admirable, but I advise that you make sure that your "i's" are dotted and your "t's" are crossed prior to any sort of worldwide broadcast.

Additionally, if you do decide to broadcast, you could conceivably HURT and HINDER hadits' reputation, and render it as another group of angry/disgruntled Veterans just looking for a handout.

I've seen this happen to a grassroots organization "Jail for Judges", when a Congressman labeled the leader and its' followers as "Angry A s s holes"! This doesn't bode well for the organization. YES...he actually quoted that, but then apologized for the comment afterwards.

One other point...

In your attempt to expose the faults of the DVA, by using a particular Veterans case, you also may be placing yourself in a precarious position. If one statement is made, and is not accurate, and the Veterans' case is denied based on a broadcast which is inaccurate, YOU could be sued!

In closing...

Personally, I'd rather have a professional organization take a story of a Veteran, and produce it on a professionally done format. There are to many risks to us and you, if this bombs. I truly commend you for what you are trying to do, but you better do more research before you attempt this.

I'll write my story for Belle.

I've posted this on hadit before and I know Hadit recomends not to do this but I've nothing to hide. I am John C. Price of Pocatello, Idaho. The VA broke the law several times over to deny my claims. I have my paperwork and anyone is welcome to question me. No active claims pending.

Maybe some of the shows or the focus of the program can be set to the subject of helping veterans. Helping veterans to understand:

The complicated process (correct applications and such)

Educating veterans on why it is important to have medical care (continuity, increases, and opinions)

Talking to the veterans about special issues (A.O. claims, radiation, asbestos, environmental hazards, etc.)

Current events and issues (ALS claims, shreddergate, communication between VBA and VHA)

How effective dates are determined (in plain english)

An insight into VA exams (and QTC and MES)

Ballpark waiting times (an Avereage) on (initial claims, re-opens, increases, remands, Appeals, BVA, etc.)

The different benefits available and the criteria to qualify (IU, SMC, SMP, Pension, Compensation, DIC, Death Pension, etc.)

There are hundreds of issues that come onto this board every week that could be addressed by "education of the veteran". This would be very beneficial to everyone involved. It would open new doors for new and older veterans and their families. There are a lot of topic specific analysts on this board, and their contribution to such a format would be greatly appreciated by the masses that do not understand so well.

I think that education would be a far greater key to veiwership, support, and such. Education goes much further than specific claims, specific predicaments, and specific situations. It gives veterans CFR's, Manual references, court decisions, definitions, and moral support through their claim process.

Many of us have fought the hard fight and have emerged victorious in the end. We donate our effeorts now to helping those who are still in the struggle. Those items I listed above, and MANY others would be very beneficial.

What about that?

Edited by Meddac

• Founder

found this it is desinged for the vva, but good tips for anyone trying to get press or media interested in their story http://www.vva.org/pr/MediaGuide08.pdf

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

I am allowing my story knowing that the VA will MOST CERTAINLY retaliate on me AGAIN. They will punish me to get others to stop.

I am sure the retaliation will be in the form of more delays, reductions in benefits, denials, etc.

I know this because the Cleveland RO has already done this:

I filed a Writ of Mandamus in 2007, because the RO in Cleveland ignored my 2004 NOD, excessive delay, and never filed a SOC. The RO manager in Cleveland retaliated against me in testimony to the CAVC. (IN the Secretary's response to my Writ) She claimed that my NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits", and that my complaints about a 5 year delay were unjustified because "mere passage of time, though frustrating to the Veteran," did not justify a writ, and then cited some case law, that basically says they can delay my claim indefinitely!

A few months later my benefits were reduced without the 60 day required notice, that is, my Pension was terminated. They also manipulated my benefit dates to deny my dependent benefits prior to 2006.

Oh, and yes, I am considering publishing the Writ, and maybe the Secretary's response..on hadit, along with later decisions which retaliated and reduced my benefits, just to show, yes they can and do retaliate!

If the Cleveland RO Retaliates on me again, (because I am still getting 40%) this time I am ready for BEAR! I wont put up with it any more!

Edited by broncovet