Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Yipee My 10 Pt Pref Got Me Something

Rate this topic

airborne18

Way to go. Guess you beat out the affimative action crowd. Good luck!
Surely of all 'rights of man', this right of the ignorant man to be guided by the wiser, to be, gently or forcibly, held in the true course by him, is the indisputablest.

-Carlyle,Thomas

The term affirmative action refers to policies that take gender, race, or ethnicity into account in an attempt to promote equal opportunity. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and education to public contracting and health programs (such as breast or prostate cancer screenings). The impetus towards affirmative action is twofold: to maximize the benefits of diversity in all levels of society, and to redress disadvantages due to overt, institutional, or involuntary discrimination.

Men are mistaken in thinking themselves free; and this opinion consists of this alone, that they are conscious of their actions and ignorant of the causes by which they are determined. This, therefore, is their idea of liberty, that they should know no cause of their actions.

-Spinoza, Baruch also known as Benedict de Spinoza

:lol: Perhaps, by now you have figured out that what you stated could be construed as very offensive. If no one else was bothered by what your posted, I was. B)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • HadIt.com Elder
Congrats, good news is hard to come by.

I too got a job through Census due to 10 point preference as the spouse of a totally disabled veteran service connected. I am in the field doing quality control. I do not make as much money as Mike but I am happy to be working. Does anyone know if spouses of totally disabled veterans have a derived veterans preference protecting us from reduction in force in federal jobs?

My 10pt prefrence finally paid off... well sortof... I took the test for a Census Job. I missed one question ( and an easy math one ).. But I did get a job out of it. I am one of the two supervisors for QA in my county. Pays 17.75 an hour and supposedly I can work from home.

It only lasts 15 weeks. But I need the money, daughter starts college this fall and we are getting zero federal aid. If anyone thinks the VA is nonsense, the FASFA process is a joke.

About your daughter starting college. At 80% as you list does'nt you state offer free college tuition/assistance for children of disabled vets through the state college system? Just a thought it might help with the bills.

Bergie

The end result of affirmative action is to give one person an advantage over another person when both are pursuing something worth having, based on some attribute that neither of them has any control over. Both sides add smoke and noise to the argument - but if you remember you are giving an unearned advantage to one individual over another, the obvious and indisputable conclusion is very clear. Some truths are self-evident.

Real people are hurt by these programs, with the stated intention of helping other people. If you give anyone anything they didn't earn, you are taking it away from someone else. I guess we've decided to do this, in the hope of improving our society. But let's understand honestly what we're doing, to whom and for whom we are doing it, and why.

"Never let your conscience keep you from doing the right thing or make you do the wrong thing."

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use