Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Anyone Taking Depakote Aka Divalproex

Rate this question

hawkcrewchief

Question

I have been given divalproex to prevent my daily nasty headaches and the mood swings associated with PTSD but i am concerned this drug is not doing well with me. As i read online it has nasty side effects and doesnt work well for migranes. It is making me very tired and giving me bad stomach pains/cramps. Anyone out there taking this? Do you have these symptoms also? I think at my follow-up i am going to ask to be taken off this...

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I took it once and got lost driving home from the store. It is a drug for bi-polar mania. It is used for off the books reasons just like neurontin. It is actually an anti-convulsant. If the VA is giving you this drug because of headaches and PTSD it is because it is cheap.

i have been taking it for a long time. recently i was upgraded to take 1000 mg a day ,i have never had any side affects from it . i dont even know it is there unless i get off it awhile , i cant feel the affects of it i have been taking it so long. i am taking it for bipolar and the doc said it was a stabilizer.

yes it seems like it is for seizures and bi-polar issues. But headaches and PTSD issues is pushing it. I feel weird and start hearing things different. Like my phone sounds diffrent, along with the stomach cramps and aches. I think I am going to stop this med today. :lol:

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

I was prescribed this and I took it for a while. My VA Psych doc said it was mood stabelizer, but I didnt think the drug did all that much for me, so I discontinued it. My wife takes it now, and she gets headaches all the time. I took this with Wellbutrin 150 mg. For me, the possible side effects, coupled with the low/no results was the deciding factor for me to discontinue this med.

• HadIt.com Elder

I take Depakote for Bipolar.

Weight gain & drousyness are two of the side effects I experience.