Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tax Exemption

Rate this question

windy city

Question

Just got a letter from senator Jeff Wentworth about the exemtion of property taxes and he stated in his letter that the bill if passed will cover those at 100% and those recieving 100% due to unemploybility I think it great but the way the economy is going this bill is not even going to get from here to the corner. Great time they picked for this bill.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Could you elaborate on that? Is it a federal program or state?

Here in NY it is up to individual municipalities to decide on vets exemptions on taxes. From what I know, here you get reductions on your town/city taxes and county taxes but not school taxes (which are always WAY higher here... my school taxes are about 60% of my total property tax bill) and towns/cities DO NOT have to agree to offering anything (counties do). My step-dad was 100% P&T but his town didn't accept that (Wheeler if you're reading Berta LOL) so he and my mom moved 2 miles away (Prattsburgh again for Berta) to a town that did offer the Vets tax exemption.

Could you elaborate on that? Is it a federal program or state?

Here in NY it is up to individual municipalities to decide on vets exemptions on taxes. From what I know, here you get reductions on your town/city taxes and county taxes but not school taxes (which are always WAY higher here... my school taxes are about 60% of my total property tax bill) and towns/cities DO NOT have to agree to offering anything (counties do). My step-dad was 100% P&T but his town didn't accept that (Wheeler if you're reading Berta LOL) so he and my mom moved 2 miles away (Prattsburgh again for Berta) to a town that did offer the Vets tax exemption.

Sorry if I kind of confused you I am talking about veterans in the state of Texas

Look under your state on the forum and it list the tax exemptions.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

• HadIt.com Elder

To bad it will not be effective till 2010 or 4 years late cause of the infamous Tom Craddick temper tantrum in 2006.

I am talking about Texas where property taxes are enormus. There is no State Income tax and property owners pay most of the freight.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Ohio has similar property tax exemption (partial) referred to as the "Homestead Exemption". Provides a reduction in property taxes to any senior or disabled citizen, regardless of income, on the dwelling that is that individual's principal place of residence and up to one acre of land of which an eligible individual is an owner. Residents can obtain applications from the "County Auditor" office.