Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Cross The Hurdle Of The 90%?

Rate this question

Izzy

Question

Hello to all fellow Veterans

I have a service conected disability of 90%. 50% for Brain Syndrome, 30% for Diplopia, 30% for Migraines and I have twelve other of 10%.

I have been diagnosed with depression, memory loss, PSTD, degenerative joint disease in ankles, shoulder, knees, clavicula and the neck, glaucoma, HBP, etc.

Currently I work at a prison and I do not know what to do from here?

I am the only one bringing home the bread, many bills, but I have heard that I could be doing better if I can get the 100% mark.

Currently I am thinking to file for TBI and epilitic seizures?

Any suggestions? I know that I have not check my C-file, I just read it in a thread, I will schedule this appointment.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have to clear my other post up I am 100% behind Carlie's statement as long as you are working the VA will NOT grant you TDIU or 100% disabled I was out of work three years before I got the 100% from June 2002 - May 2006 although they did pay me back pay to Dec 2003 when I first filed my PTSD claim.

In order to meet the guidelines for 100% you have to be unemployable

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Izzy, a basic question is if your employer thinks you are still able to do the job for which you were hired. Another concern is if you cannot, if they would accommodate you in another position you can perform paying the same wages. If not, and they have to let you go, then you apply for social security disability and VA TDIU at the same time. The problem is that none of this happens immediately. You'll wait at least six months for a decision from social security, and longer to hear from the VA. So, you have to have some kind of income or savings to fall back on in order to not lose your home, your vehicle, etc. For most of us, that means preparing ahead of time and also having a second income.

By the way, my husband also has a rating for organic mental syndrome, both before and after he was increased from 90% to 100% schedular (not TDIU), and while he was still working, so it IS possible, but very very difficult. When he couldn't work anymore, he applied for social security disability (we used Binder and Binder for attorney assistance), and got it on his first try. Even with that, he applied in September, got the approval in March, but wasn't paid for the first five months of waiting. So, you have some decisions to make if you go this route. OBS is a permanent condition, and won't improve. It's a physical disability, not a psychiatric one.

Edited by mags1023

s/ Mags

We kept our promise and served honorably. Now it is time for the VA to keep their's!

I am not an attorney or VSO and offer my opinions free of charge. Any advice I provide in my posts is from experiences I have had with the VA or I have the knowledge that others have encoutered. I accept no liability for this advice should you chose to follow it.

• HadIt.com Elder

mags:

We are talking about TDIU 100% and not 100% P&T for reasons other than mental. And yes the VA seems to allow 100% Veterans to work at VA and as Service Officers. Its ok with me it just does not seem to work for most of us who are 100%.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Being 100% and working for the VA is different than being 100% and working in a prison. Do you work with inmates? If you have seizures that might be a security risk for yourself and other prison workers. I don't think you want your employer to know this about you. That might be a good reason for a disability retirement. I don't think there is anyone here who gets 100% and works full time.

This might sound right, but I had a friend that worked with me, on another shift. When I got to work to relive him, I ask where he was and I was told the VA called him and told him he could not work anymore and he had to quiet work that day, so he got 100% unemployee ability, while he was working. I do not know how it worked, but it did. Has anyone else herd of this.

Ken