Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

tom91

Question

I would like some advice on a claim for PTSD that I recently filed but remains outstanding. I've read a lot of information about claims for this and it seems to be imperative that you have a specific stressor in order for the VA to approve it. That is specifically where my concern lies. I served in Desert Storm but did not experience combat. I suffered a back injury at the onset of arriving in Saudi but remained there for several months before they finally diagnosed the injury correctly and sent me back home. During that interim period, the trauma I experienced was a result of skud missile attacks and my inability to move very well because of the injury. There were a number of times that I couldn't get in my foxhole without the assistance of other soldiers. I just knew that I wasn't coming home alive! I've dealt with symptoms for years and did not realize until recently what was wrong. My nightmares date back for over 13 years, whereby my legs are blown off and I can't run for safety. There is note of this in my VA medical files but I don't have my military records yet -- been waiting for over 6 months!

The VA diagnosed me for PTSD a few months ago and I currently attend regular counseling sessions for it. Based upon my stressor, I don't feel very confident that I will win based upon all that I've read on stressors. Would like other opinions. I did have my VA medical doctor ask if I had filed claim as he felt I should in order to receive further benefits that I deserved.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry, what is CIB & PH?

You would think that since the VA has already diagnosed me with it and is aware of my symptoms from Desert SHield/Desert Storm it shouldn't be such an issue but I suspect it will.

Here's another question on this...I was diagnosed as bipolar after I was medically discharged. The diagnosis/symptoms have a lot in common but my dr.'s feel I actually have both and have diagnosed me as such. Seems I should go after that as well whether or not the PTSD is approved because my symptoms never occurred until after I was medically discharged. Could bipolar not be a secondary condition made worse becaus e of the PTSD?

Sorry, what is CIB & PH?

You would think that since the VA has already diagnosed me with it and is aware of my symptoms from Desert SHield/Desert Storm it shouldn't be such an issue but I suspect it will.

Here's another question on this...I was diagnosed as bipolar after I was medically discharged. The diagnosis/symptoms have a lot in common but my dr.'s feel I actually have both and have diagnosed me as such. Seems I should go after that as well whether or not the PTSD is approved because my symptoms never occurred until after I was medically discharged. Could bipolar not be a secondary condition made worse becaus e of the PTSD?

Combat infantry badge. Purple Heart.

tom91,

If you get SC'd for a MH disability - VA only pays for one.

You will never get paid for two as many MH disabilities are co-morbid anyway.

Check this thread out - mainly the posts in it by rentalguy1.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17041

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Amend your claim to add bipolar, major depressive disorder, and depression secondary to back condition. They will have address each one seperately. It will better your chances and save time from applying for each one.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V