Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

tom91

Question

I would like some advice on a claim for PTSD that I recently filed but remains outstanding. I've read a lot of information about claims for this and it seems to be imperative that you have a specific stressor in order for the VA to approve it. That is specifically where my concern lies. I served in Desert Storm but did not experience combat. I suffered a back injury at the onset of arriving in Saudi but remained there for several months before they finally diagnosed the injury correctly and sent me back home. During that interim period, the trauma I experienced was a result of skud missile attacks and my inability to move very well because of the injury. There were a number of times that I couldn't get in my foxhole without the assistance of other soldiers. I just knew that I wasn't coming home alive! I've dealt with symptoms for years and did not realize until recently what was wrong. My nightmares date back for over 13 years, whereby my legs are blown off and I can't run for safety. There is note of this in my VA medical files but I don't have my military records yet -- been waiting for over 6 months!

The VA diagnosed me for PTSD a few months ago and I currently attend regular counseling sessions for it. Based upon my stressor, I don't feel very confident that I will win based upon all that I've read on stressors. Would like other opinions. I did have my VA medical doctor ask if I had filed claim as he felt I should in order to receive further benefits that I deserved.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you still have residuals of the back injury (proven by medical evidence)and can prove this injury is noted in your SMRs, that might be the stronger claim than PTSD but by all means claim the PTSD too-You will need a ratable disabilioty due to the back injury to get VA comp.

I am glad you realize that the PTSD claim is fairly weak.You will need to prove the back injury anyhow to prove this was a stressor when it took time for you to get into foxholes.In that respect this could perhaps be a valid stressor.

Have you attempted to get buddy statements?

Do you have your SMRs?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tom,

I would like to chime in, my situation was similar to yours, even though I spent 13 mos in Vietnam. I had a whole different perspective on stressors than the VA does. My stressors were graves registration and incoming rounds,rockets, mortars recoiless rifle rounds, that hit our base frequently. I thought I would get it based on graves registration, but the VA chose the incoming as my stressor. I thought it would have been the other way around. So, if your base was being hit by scud missiles, then you may have a very good chance of getting sced. But there has to be proof of those scuds hitting your base at the time you were there. Hope this helps.

T&B

" In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a Congress"

- John Adams

I have 20% disability on my back, raised by 10% just in the last year. I don't have any statements from anyone in the service but provided several from friends, family, and present coworkers.

Just to clarify further, my reference was to skud missiles were the alarms to take cover. We were never given any details as to what occurred but the missiles never hit our camp.

Tom,

We were at the ports picking up our trucks when that happened. We had just packed up from the week's stay at Al Khobar towers. The next day, we stormed thru Iraq. Yes, as a 19 kid, I remember how horrifying that was, having to put on our chemical mask and all the chaotic stuff. It was war.

I would suggest you look up old news article and then substantiate that with perhaps buddy letters there. There are so many resources for you to look up old Army buddies.

On the second tour in OIF, my unit drove 13,000 miles in Iraq delivering supplies all over the combat zone. We were shot at, IED'd, blown up, etc. among the worst and dangerous roads on the planet. The ones that were dying were people in our convoys.

Can you believe the VA tried to say we did not have a combat job and I had to prove my stressors?? Well heck, I showed them with all the evidence that came up with!

Good luck!!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you don't have a CIB or PH you have to prove your stressors. Why do soldiers in a combat zone have to prove PTSD stressors? This should be presumptive like AO exposure. They make it hard because they don't want to pay. That is the be all and end all of it.

John,

Bingo! We are not fighting the Russians anymore from the Cold War. Some VA rules are still from that era. The most casualties in these current conflicts are towards support soldiers that are ill trained and ill equiped to combat the faceless enemies. Being in transportation, we were alot easier targets than combat soldiers in armored vehicles.