Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Examination Coming Up

Rate this question

CRYPTOTECH

Question

Hi everyone,

I just got a notice Friday that I have a mental health exam coming up in June. The exam is for 'OTHER OPINION' regarding onset and also assessing my level of impairment.

Any suggestions on prep for the exam. My DAV rep said that my C-file had already been sent to the examiner for review but I have some new evidence. Should I just take the new evidence with me to the exam or send it in now. I'm just scared if I send it in now my C&P exam might get delayed. I have already waited over 7 months for this exam.

thanks for any suggestions,

Jay

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is just my opinion. When I was scheduled for my first

C&P and I knew that I had a "Buddy Letter", which needed to

be seen by the doctor, I took a copy to my local Regional Office and

turned it in and had it date stamped and had them make me a copy.

I took my date stamped "Buddy Letter" with me to the C&P for the doctor to

read.

As it turned out, it was not in my C-file for him to read.

Always,

Betty

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay:

Onset is this a new claim or request for increase?

Usually its not that big a deal if you so a little boning up on what is expected.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd do what Betty did. Bring your evidence to the VARO, get a date stamped received copy and bring a copy of that, w/you, to the C&P exam, for the examiner. This way you know the VA received it and you know the examiner received it also. It probably won't make it to your c-file before the exam. jmo

pr

My case is a little complicated. I am already S/C for my mental condition but it's for aggravation to my Primary condition. Last year they denied me onset but since then I submitted new evidence (opinions) that my condition started in the Navy. The new evidence I think is what prompted them to schedule a new exam. On the first exam the examiner stated the my condition didn't have its onset in the Navy but he based his decision on errors in my treatment history.

I guess the answer to your question is they are seeing if there is an increase and also to get an opinion again regarding onset. There is new evidence in my file for the examiner to look at so hopefully they will grant onset. As you might be aware aggravation is not nearly as good as onset since they take a percentage away. They said my mental illness was 30% prior to the primary and 50% post so I'm only getting paid for 20%. My full pay now is for 40% for both conditions. I would be 70% if they granted me onset in service (50 + 30 = 70%). That's a huge difference. I hope you see what i'm saying. It's kind of complex. I just need to show the VA that my condition had its onset in the Navy and I think I did with the new evidence. I'm so anxious about this exam because if the examiner opines that my condition didn't have onset in service I will probably get denied again and have to appeal to the BVA.

Jay

Jay:

Onset is this a new claim or request for increase?

Usually its not that big a deal if you so a little boning up on what is expected.