VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have 3 Letters Written On My Behalf.

Rate this question

sawgunner

Question

I have 3 letter written in reference to my claim for left hip/lower back DDD and hip snap syndrome.

1 From a chriopractor, 1 from an orthopedic nurse pratitioner, and 1 from a physical therapist.

I posted earlier that my claim had been denied for lack of proof..... So the next time I go to the VA I will have my military physical therapy records as well as a list of the first meds I was ever prescribed for my hip, plus my 3 new letters.

I am also getting my mother and a friend to write letters stating the change they have noticed over the years. My sister has promised to write a letter as well.

How much help will all of this stuff be?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The letter from professionals should help and I think the others could also. However what is usually needed to close the deal is a letter from MD that states they have reviewed your medical records, it is their opinion that you had something that caused the injury or aggravated in your Service. It has caused you problems since you left and a current diagnosis and if you are not working a statement as to if you will ever be able to work

Good Luck

To have value, these letters should use the phrase, "Veterans condition.......... at least as likely as not due to military service"

To have any chance at VA benefits, you always need these things:

1. Other than dishonorable discharge.

2. Medical documentation of a disorder or disease..continuity of treatment. You are almost never going to get any compensation for pain, for example, if you dont tell your doctor about it, regardless of how bad the pain might be. "Sucking it up" and bearing the pain will cost you your benefits. You have to KEEP going to the doctor..not just once..and keep complaining about the pain.

3. A nexus. No that is not a car, and it is not a company that does legal reports. A Nexus means a connection of your current disease or condition to military service.

Usually that means your doctor needs to say, "Veterans ....... condition at least as likely as not due to military service."

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to have a medical professional spell out the connection between your injuries or illness and your military service. The VA won't connect the dots. You can have all the evidence in the world but unless your doctor makes the nexus between service and your injury nothing happens. The VA will find someway to create daylight between your service and you injuries unless you have a good nexus statement from a doctor.

All three letter will state that the chronic problems I have today are "at least as likely as not related to my military service".

I messed up my hip in 1998 in AIT and again in 2003 at Ft. Eustis. The doctor said bursitus and took no xrays. The PT at Eustis made note of me having back problems. "scoliosis".

The letter that I have in hand now with 2 more to follow states that he belives my injury is at least as likely as not to have caused DDD and hip snap syndrome as opposed to bursitus.

With that said....

How much weight will these letters carry? The ortopedic NP is awsome!! But he is not an MD. DO I need to plan a trip to Maryland to see DR. Bash or am I ok with the letters I have?

The expense is beginning to add up. Today I finished up 4 weeks of physical therapy and the head PT stated that she want's to see me for AT LEAST 2 more weeks. I see the ortopedic again on the 19th and will likely receive another 2 weeks to include treatment for my neck which is messed up because of the DDD per the first chriopractor I saw.

I work full time and have health insurance but EACH time I see a MD,NP,PT or chriopractor I have to pay a $35 co-pay. Thats $35 per PT secession!!!! I have been going 3 times per week for one month now and I am looking at 2 more weeks and mabey a month. Thats $105 per week in co-pays just for the physical therapy!!!!

I have be receving civi treatment now off and on sence 2004.

I will have paied between $600 and $800 in co-pays for the PT alone this spring and more to the other docs.. Over $1K in total.

I have a heel lift, take meds, and muscle relaxers at night to help me sleep. "I have had a hard time sleeping for some time in part due to the pain".

I have been thinking alot lately about going to someone for depression that I"m sure I have but I just don't have enough money to pay for all the medical co-pays.

Now I'm just venting............ :D

So what do you think guys...?

I have been denied for not having enough proof. I managed to locate my military PT records from Eustis and my prescriptions list from AIT that shows anti-inflammatories,a nd now I have the civilian medical records.. I just don't know what more they want/need.

Do I have enough?

Can I do more?

What say ye?

• HadIt.com Elder
I messed up my hip in 1998 in AIT and again in 2003 at Ft. Eustis. The doctor said bursitus and took no xrays. The PT at Eustis made note of me having back problems. "scoliosis".

If your claim was in front of me, I'd be more interested in how the "scoliosis" statement was noted by the PT. Does your military records have an doctor that diagnosis such? Scoliosis is an congenital condition and I see the VBA denying your claim on basis.