Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

New C&p Exam For Hearing Loss

Rate this question


HvyGns38

Question

Good day, everyone.

New to posting on the forum, but have been viewing the information for quite some time.

A little background. . .served 9 years in the Marines from 1987-1995. I have a CAR from Desert Storm. Was medically retired from the Marines in 1995 with a 30% rating for post ACL reconstruction with lateral meniscectomy and traumatic arthritis. While doing my exit physical it was discovered that I had hearing loss in my right ear. VA rated my knee at 10% and tinnitus at 10% in 1995/1996.

I reopened my claim in November of 2008 for both my hearing and further degeneration of my knee. The knee exam came pretty quick and they rated my knee at 50% and the tinnitus at 10% for a total of 60% (55 to be precise).

Now, I have a audiology exam slated for June 16. Two years after getting out of the Marines (1997) the hearing loss got worse and I started having episodes of vertigo 2-3 times a month. Private doctor operated on my ear and had a preopertative diagnosis of perilymphatic fistula. He did not find any leakage or anything else that would cause the hearing loss or vertigo. His post-op diagnosis was "probable Meniere's disease". I never followed up very much after the surgery because the private doctor indicated that there really isn't much that can be done if you have Meniere's disease. At this point, the vertigo, tinnitus, and hearing loss are becoming difficult to live with, but manageable, that is why I reopened my claim for hearing

My question is. . .Whith my hearing completely gone in my right ear with severe tinnitus, what percentage can I expect if the VA agrees? If the Meniere's disease was discovered only two years after getting out, can that be connected to my military service? I know Meniere's disease is difficult to prove, but is it worth a shot when I see the audiologist, especially with the vertigo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to approach my exam and, ultimately, the VA.

Thank you in advance!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

There have been no answers to this question yet

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use