VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Proceed

Rate this question

jim n ok

Question

now that i am sc's for 50 percent ptsd,30 percent migrain,10 % tinnitus and 10% double vision from tbi, how do i get in to get meds and treatment? i have never used the facilities at okc and need treatment.

also question 2: how can they rate the tbi zero,but give me 30 for migrain and 10 for double vision. seems odd to me.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

OH- that makes sense-

they should be considering you for TDIU if you are not working.

I have impression you dont have the formal award letter yet----?

Jim this recent BVA decision shows the way they are supposed to rate TBI residuals under the fairly new regulations.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0907036.txt

If they award you TDIU that would be great (the 100% comp rate) but if they dont-they could have rated the TBI residuals wrong- if they overlooked any residuals you have that are explained in this decision.

TBI can affect a veteran's physical, and emotional life and certainly their employability.

This is a physivcal damage to th brain that can have numerous residuals.

I am still stunned over when a Iraq vet was interviewed about 2 years ago on TV and the VA had tried to tell him he had a personality disorder when the reality was he was profoundly disabled by a TBI from an IED.Unless a vet can get a PD while being hospitalized at Walter Reed ( :D )

Fortunately the VA since then has altered the TBI regulations but I bet they still dont get it right on some of the impairments TBIs can cause.

berta,

i received the brain injury in 1974 while on duty. 4 months later i was unable to function, my commander had me sent to a phsyc ward and evaluated,i was dx'd with an adjustment disorder and allowed to stay in until 1977 when i was discharged for the same "self medicating" problems that got me into the first evaluation. my question may be out of line and i truly understand if it is," was my discharge done because of the wrong diagnosis? they discharged me because of adjustment problems. can this be corrected?

A type of inaccurate discharge can be corrected under certain circumstances.

I certainly would pursue this if you can.

There are Statute of Limits and other considerations to doing this.

Ed Crosby-whose site is at:

http://www.landscaper.net/discharg.htm

is an expert on this stuff-

I see he mentions a 1973 cut off date but dont know why he did-many it is the Statute of Limits problem that these types of cases involve.

also there are many other sites regarding Discharge Upgrades or changing 'bad paper'.

I am pretty sure his email addy is at the site- if not I will find it here on my PC-there is plenty of good info at this site-and also in SVR Radio Archives his past shows are there too.

I am getting the impression that due to your SC TBI the mil pushed you out with an erroneous diagnosis.They didnt understand TBI much in the 1970s and I bet many Vietnam combat vets have TBI residuals that VA has deemed as other mental disabilitites yet TBI is a physical trauma that can cause mental disabilities.

I would imagine that many vets got erroneous diagnoses and even bad paper discharges who were deprived of VA health care due to those errors as well as a proper diagnosis and compensation.

That is a travesty of justice that the BMCR (Board of Military Correction of Records) can often resolve but I dont know what the time frame is for filing this type of claim.

If you google Correction of Military Discharges a lot should pop up.

Did you file any past VA claims for benefits that were denied?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0902956.txt

This recent case shows that the 15 year statute can be extended.

This was a POW with obvious service connected disabilities who somehow got a bad paper discharge.

And got it changed.

If you do mean you want the discharge changed, there certainly could be a way to attempt to do that.