VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bipoar Due To A General Medical Condition?

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

theriapist was telling me that he thinks that i suffer from bipolar disorder from my medical condition from service ? is this ratable has anyone heard of this... i know depression due to a general medical condition,but bipolar?

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Ditto on John999's post.

carlie

Same here, The only way a person can be Bi-polar due to a medical condition is if they are already borderline, and some medication pushes them over the edge to full bi-polar. This is still considered hereditary. Depression is more than likely the better route.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks John, you did a much better job of explaining than I did.

WHAT JOHN JUST SAID!

and if you file, file for depression, just like the big guy with the funny hat did.

Thanks John, you did a much better job of explaining than I did.

WHAT JOHN JUST SAID!

and if you file, file for depression, just like the big guy with the funny hat did.

thanks for all your post and time.. its just i as i stated in a post last week the VA theriapist diagnosed me with depression and treats me with therapy and meds for a accident after i got out of service...i would love to claim depression but as many as you comment it would be a hard claim since the va raters would use it as a excuse not to give it to me...bipolar would be seperate and im diagnose with it too.. oh well ..thank you maybe someone else that new or old will learn some from your knowledgable post..thanks for all your post and support ...it means alot to a vet that is fighting the va system..

• HadIt.com Elder

there is no such diagnosis as "bipolar due to a general medical condition." There is a diagnosis of "bipolar disorder," and one of "mood disorder due to a general medical condition." They each have very specific diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV. These criteria have to be met in order to receive a diagnosis of one or the other, or both.

• HadIt.com Elder
thanks for all your post and time.. its just i as i stated in a post last week the VA theriapist diagnosed me with depression and treats me with therapy and meds for a accident after i got out of service...i would love to claim depression but as many as you comment it would be a hard claim since the va raters would use it as a excuse not to give it to me...bipolar would be seperate and im diagnose with it too.. oh well ..thank you maybe someone else that new or old will learn some from your knowledgable post..thanks for all your post and support ...it means alot to a vet that is fighting the va system..

Ya know, you never can tell. Before you strike your colours, I've got an experiment that you need to perform.

Go to your VA therapist, explain to them that you are confused and need their help. Say to them, "Ya know that I'm having problems in my life, affecting my work, social life, etc., and I need you to help me. If you were me, what kind of compensation claim could I file, knowing what you now know about me and my problems?"

Go, float that boat and see what the therapist tells you.

Often times, when you approach them as the caregiver that most of them really, really try to be, and given the opportunity to help someone deserving out, they will offer ideas, offer to help with your claim, offer to write you a nexus letter connecting your problems to problems you had in the service, etc.

Go, float that boat.

I did, just what I'm suggesting that you do, and my psychiatrist looked at me and asked me, "What then, do I need to do, to help you receive this TDIU P&T?"

And, I told him.

And, he wrote a letter and made a couple of phone calls to the Regional Office, and, two weeks later, I'm at where I'm at, after fighting the VA for 5 years.

Ya never know, do ya, until you try?