Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Compensation Act Of 2009

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to what I have read this ACT 407, "The Veterans Compensation Cost of Living Adjustment Act of 2009" which has been passed by congress but not yet signed by the president, will give us a raise.

If you read the link, those changes, if the president signs it, would mean about a 5.7% increase, or about a $150 more for a 100% disabled Vet effective December 1, 2009.

I dont know..maybe I dont get it, but it looks like we are getting a nice raise unless Obama vetoes it.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...:s407es.txt.pdf

More is here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-407

Considering that vawatchdog.org says that our normal COLA would be about 0% this year, I would say 5.7% is a much improvement from that.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfjun09/nf061809-1.htm

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone who thinks a disabled Veteran is on easy street is sadly mistaken. Is their security in the check yes but its also a trap as inflation and other costs rise more and more. The time spent waiting a losses incurred mount up over a period of time. Living on a fixed income is a constant routine of cuts and adjustments.

That said it is also in reality a forced retirement and better than many who retire have. So as far as comparing it to work it sucks. As far as comparing it to friends and family retirement it is pretty good.

Anyone who is facing loosing their house should contact the VA Real Estate people as they have a program that will refinance. They did it for me and saved my house.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well said, Pete.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I agree with John, Pete, and Basser

Veterans earn and deserve what they get..most of the time they deserve more, and they deserve it sooner rather than later. It really should be no suprise when a Veteran waits for 5 years or more to get his benefits, that he is "disgruntled" about it. While we were in the military we were expected to carry out orders "now" and we certainly did not wait 5 years.

I think VBA employees should get their pay relative to how fast they get Veterans theirs. Those who get bonuses for delaying Veterans claims deserve to have their checks delayed.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmay09/nf052309-1.htm

This is a very good post and thanks to everyone for sharing their views.

So to recap...

Are we getting a raise Dec 2009 of 5.8%?

LOL

• HadIt.com Elder

Only if a blue pig in Kentucky learns to sing while flying backwards

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never seen a blue Pig in Kentucky but the University of Arkansas has a Hog as a mascott. It also has a coach who grew up in Kentucky.

That is OK, Come basketball season this year I will ask coach Cal not to beat Arkansas too bad, only by 40, At least they will fare better than UNC.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.