Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decoding C&p Language

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I received copies of my c&p physicals today for both my claims of increased depression and bilateral hearing loss with tinnitis. Here are the findings of the increased depression: I also have a TDIU claim

Axis I Major Depression

Axis II defer

Axis III See Med list

Axis IV Unemployment

Axis V GAF score is 50

The veteran cannot work due to anxiety, agoraphobia and worsened depression

The prognosis is guarded. He is mentally capable of managing benefit payments in his own best interest. Mentally, he occasionally has some interference performing activities of daily living because of his left Knee and depressive problems. He has difficulty establishing and maintaining effective work/school and social relationships because of his isolation. The best description of the claimant's current psychiatric impairmentis: psychiatric symptoms cause occupational and social imparment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent inability to perform occupational tasks although generally the person is functioning satisfactorily with routine behavior, self care and normal conversation. The above statement is supported by the following symptoms: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, chronic sleep impairment and mild memory loss such as forgetting names directions or recent events . He has no difficulty understanding commands. Based upon the examination, the claimant needs to seek follow up treatment. The claimant requires therapy and medication management. This information was conveyed to the claimant during the examination. The claimant does not appear to pose any threat of danger or injury to self or others.

Audiology: puretone

right

500hz 1000hz 2000hz 3000hz 4000hz b+C+

30 40 35 50 40 41.25

left

500hz 1000hz 2000hz 3000hz 4000hz b+C+

35 40 40 65 60 56.25

Diagnosis:

For the claimant's claimed condition of BILATERAL HEARING LOSS, the diagnosis is bilateral hearing loss. The subjective factors are the claimant report of hearing loss. The objective fators are audiometric findings.

For the claimant's claimed condition of TINNITUS, the diagnosis is bilateral persistent tinnitis. The subjective factors are claimant report of tinnitus. The objective factors are the claimant's subjective report.

For the right ear, the claimant has moderate, mixed (sensorinural and conductive) hearing loss. For the left ear, the claimant has a moderately severe mixed (sensorineural and conductive) hearing loss. If treated the problem will cause a change in the hearing threshold level because resolving any middle ear pathology can improve air conduction thresholds.

Answers to the questions from VA

In reference to the question "IT IS LESS LIKELY AS THAN NOT THAT THE VETERAN'S HEARING LOSS IS RELATED TO ACOUSTIC TRAUMA FROM COMBAT NOISE", due to the presence of an air-bone gap bilaterally with flat tympanograms normal ear canal volumes and absent ipsilateral acoustic reflexes.

It is as least as likely as not that the veteran's tinnitis is related to acoustic trauma from combat noise due to the reported time of onset and the noises inherentin those duties that are known to cause tinnitis.

If anyone can shed some light on these findings and what to expect from my RSO please help me. thanks in advance.

navydoc

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do you get SSDI and if so- is it for the SC depression?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Do you get SSDI and if so- is it for the SC depression?

No I have not applied for ssdi, I have been unemployed for a year and a half now. I wanted to wait and see what the VA decision would be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Navydoc

When I mentioned about the VA pouncing on a few words to deny or lowball a claim I speak from my own bitter experience. They will dissect your doctor's letter and take one sentence out of it to deny or lowball you. The GAF of 50 could be enough to get you 70% and IU if everything in the doctor's report adds up to match the mental health disability work sheet. It does not have to match perfectly, but it should be consistent. If the doctor says you can't work then he should say why you can't work and relate it soley to your SC conditions. No mention of NSC conditions. You probably need your own doctor to write a letter for you (private doctor) where he lays it on the line. For instance "Patient rarely leaves the house, forgets to bath, stays awake all night checking doors and windows, believes his neighbors are talking about him etc." If you are paranoid and depressed this is the kind of thing that will get you to IU or 100%. You don't want your doctor to say one good word about your emotional condition. I am not saying to lie, but your doctor should present the worst possible portrait of you to the VA. In VAland everything good and normal is bad for you.

Navydoc

When I mentioned about the VA pouncing on a few words to deny or lowball a claim I speak from my own bitter experience. They will dissect your doctor's letter and take one sentence out of it to deny or lowball you. The GAF of 50 could be enough to get you 70% and IU if everything in the doctor's report adds up to match the mental health disability work sheet. It does not have to match perfectly, but it should be consistent. If the doctor says you can't work then he should say why you can't work and relate it soley to your SC conditions. No mention of NSC conditions. You probably need your own doctor to write a letter for you (private doctor) where he lays it on the line. For instance "Patient rarely leaves the house, forgets to bath, stays awake all night checking doors and windows, believes his neighbors are talking about him etc." If you are paranoid and depressed this is the kind of thing that will get you to IU or 100%. You don't want your doctor to say one good word about your emotional condition. I am not saying to lie, but your doctor should present the worst possible portrait of you to the VA. In VAland everything good and normal is bad for you.

Thanks John999. Yes I know all too well what a few words can do, They used the fact that I had surgery in high school to deny service connection for my right knee. I'm hoping that I get bumped up to 70% from 30% at worst. The only doc I've used in the last three years is the VA psychiatrist who claims he cannot write an opinion on my claim, but I think they review his notes.

• HadIt.com Elder

NAVYdOC:

pLEASE APPLY FOR ssd IMMEDIATELY. iT HAS A BIG TIME LIMIT AND IF YOU SNOOZE YOU WILL LOSE

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gruntdaddy

I just have a bad feeling that because the exam is somewhat inconsistent the VA can spin it. Maybe they won't. They look these things over with a microscope to find anything they can hang their hat on to deny a specific benefit like IU because they know this vet will never work again and will collect for years and his family will collect one day.

John