VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Did The Dav Send A False Letter Of Award?

Rate this question

4myboys

Question

So 7 weeks ago the DAV sent me an "unofficial" letter stating that I had my disability increased and that I would be receiving retro payment back over 10 years. Of coarse I get excited...even though I know that it is "unofficial" but was told I would receive official in about two weeks at the most followed by payment.

Not only have I not received a single statement of what is going on from the VA, when I call my useless VSO all he says is that I am still at the rater. Now my DAV rep said I was already at finance. IRIS inquiry offered nothing.

The DAV should NOT be sending out unofficial letters until the VA has completed the rating and it has been made official!

This has drained me mentally even physically! I am so frustrated and this process is torture.

To top it off I received a letter from Debt Management for some erroneous debt that has incurred due to my change in C&P. They stated that I have received and overpayment and they will begin recouping it Sep 09. There is no debt, I haven't ever been overpaid or received anything not entitled to.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE VA ?????????? It is as though they have so many chain of commands, departments, processes, procedures, YET they manage to lack COMMUNICATION between them!

I currently work because I have to financially support my family. This retro pay allows me to only work part time rather than full time and will help take care of my disabilities. Currently I work in severe pain and don't take my pain meds because it will keep me from being coherent and fulfilling my job requirements. In return I am in severe pain and end up having poor job performance because of it...Anyway my point is, is that this claim changes everything for me if I have indeed been awarded retro pay and an increase in disability.

I have HADIT.....sorry had to throw that out there!

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

"which is unusual -has anyone ever heard of the VA's mystery caller program before?"

...Berta

No, Berta, but I've gotten a couple of e-mails lately, wanting me to become a "mystery shopper". They said that they'd give me a wad of money, and all I had to do was go out and buy "stuff" from different stores in my neighborhood, then fill out this "mystery shopper" form and send it to them.

The really neat thing is, I GET TO KEEP ALL THE "STUFF"!

So, I called 'em and told 'em to send me my "wad of money".

I've been sitting here, watching my mail box down on the road, for a few days, but what with it being 4th of July holidays, I guess that the mail is kinda slow.

But, I should hear from them soon, I think. I want to be sure and watch that mail box closely, because I always was leary of someone sending me cash in the mail, for fear that someone else will get wind of it and steal it outta my mail box.

When I get my "mystery" money, I'll get back to you, and see if it's anything like the VA program (kinda sounds like the same thing, what with me having to wait on the mail and all, doesn't it?).

Call Debt management and then Wriite a letter to debt management. Explain clearly and concisely why you feel that you dont owe any money, and request a waiver. If you have not done this, do this. This is the first place to start.

Read the case Berta posted below. In your request for waiver explain:

1. Why the debt is not your fault.

2. Why recovery of the debt will cause an "undue hardship"..and explain your financial situation.

3. Why you dont owe the money.

I think if you dont contact debt management and request a waiver, I doubt you will be successfull in court..it would be like appealing a decision when

you never applied for benefits in the first place.

Edited by broncovet

Uh oh....it's until then...the amount was in the original letter from Debt Managment for $12.639.00. That is no chump change.

I was thinking (I try not to do too much of that) Voc Rehab was ALWAYS late paying the school. When I tried to get my diploma and transcripts the College wouldn't give them to me until my account was paid off. I'm thinking Voc Rehab/VA had to pay out a large sum that may have caused a red flag all these years later. MAYBE someone inputted into the system that the monies due the school went to ME (which obviously didn't) I can't remember the total amount due the school but maybe just maybe that's what this is all about!

Hmmm?!?!?!

Have you ever defaulted on a VA home loan, or received seperation or severance pay?

Call Debt management and then Wriite a letter to debt management. Explain clearly and concisely why you feel that you dont owe any money, and request a waiver. If you have not done this, do this. This is the first place to start.

Read the case Berta posted below. In your request for waiver explain:

1. Why the debt is not your fault.

2. Why recovery of the debt will cause an "undue hardship"..and explain your financial situation.

3. Why you dont owe the money.

I think if you dont contact debt management and request a waiver, I doubt you will be successfull in court..it would be like appealing a decision when

you never applied for benefits in the first place.

The letter need to go to the regional office. Debt Management can not waive a debt. They are only a collections agency.

Have you ever defaulted on a VA home loan, or received seperation or severance pay?

Hi Sharon, no home loan...received separation pay, but that was already recouped before I ever received a single compensation payment (that was for only around $5,000).

The letter need to go to the regional office. Debt Management can not waive a debt. They are only a collections agency.

I sent a Waiver, also stated Financial Hardship, and requested a Hearing. As advised by the DAV rep I sat down with yesterday, I also asked for payment plan. This seemed as though I was admitting that I owe the debt, but the DAV rep said that if I don't get the waiver they will take it all in a lump sum. Regardless I have begun the battle.

Thanks for ALL the advice on this....I have utilized it all! B)

Today, in total amazement, I received a phone call from VARO regarding the IRIS I put in a week ago. He told me that my claim is at the awards portion.

I haven't heard of this way, is this the finance department?

He also said that my claim should be finalized in no more than 30 days and it will be worked on tomorrow.

I think this VERY NICE gentleman was very careful with his terminology to avoid accountability, but I understand; it's not official until it's official :)

Anyhow, pleasantly surprised by this call today. Persistence is beginning to pay off. SLOWLY but SURELY.