Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amazing The Things You Find When You Go Through C-file!

Rate this question

Shark

Question

The basics, I am 50% SC for PTSD, 20% SC for DM2, and 10% SC for PN for each limb for a total of 80% SC. I filed for TDIU last July and was denied and filed a NOD in October.

I just found in my C-file the results of a VA ordered medical exam done in March of 2005 which included an addendum which states:

"The veteran reported high blood pressure problems for the past two years and has been on antihypertensive medication. The diagnosis is HYPERTENSION, at least as likely as not related to diabetes."

The VA never rated me hypertension as a result of this exam. In this exam I was 164/84 and will run in the 140's/80's today and am on multiple antihypertensive meds. Is this a CUE? Should I say anything now and disrupt the process of my current appeal? I am guessing at best I will only get 10% on this which will not raise my overall %.

Any thoughts? Should I just ask for a rating for hypertension second to DM2 and hope they re-examine my more current evidence in support of TDIU?

I also found in my SMR visits to the doc for heart burn on multiple occassions (currently have GERD) and multiple visits for back pain (currently take pain meds for back pain) should I file for these too?

Thanks to all for all of your previous help!

Vietnam 66, 67/68. Combat Aircrewman doing search and rescue in N Vietnam. HS-6

Combat Vets Association

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
The basics, I am 50% SC for PTSD, 20% SC for DM2, and 10% SC for PN for each limb for a total of 80% SC. I filed for TDIU last July and was denied and filed a NOD in October.

I just found in my C-file the results of a VA ordered medical exam done in March of 2005 which included an addendum which states:

"The veteran reported high blood pressure problems for the past two years and has been on antihypertensive medication. The diagnosis is HYPERTENSION, at least as likely as not related to diabetes."

The VA never rated me hypertension as a result of this exam. In this exam I was 164/84 and will run in the 140's/80's today and am on multiple antihypertensive meds. Is this a CUE? No Should I say anything now and disrupt the process of my current appeal? According to what you want to say I am guessing at best I will only get 10% on this which will not raise my overall %.

Any thoughts? Occasionally Should I just ask for a rating for hypertension second to DM2 and hope they re-examine my more current evidence in support of TDIU? Assuming that you filed an NOD with more evidence that will win your TDIU claim, I'd let sleeping dogs lie until I got my TDIU, but, then that's me, see, and not you, you do as you see fit.

I also found in my SMR visits to the doc for heart burn on multiple occassions (currently have GERD) and multiple visits for back pain (currently take pain meds for back pain) should I file for these too? You need to, eventually, file for all that you have coming to you.

Thanks to all for all of your previous help!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, as Larry says, you want to win the TDIU claim, and then you can go back and get SC'ed for HPB. I think you should do that later. Get it for the Gerd as well since Gerd can cause cancer.

Shark...

Based on what you said in the post, using a risk/benefit analysis, there is no need to file for hypertension...as you said there is nothing to gain as 10% wont add anything, and more to loose...time.

I like doing thinks that are low risk and high benefits, the scenario you mentioned is low risk but no potential benefit. I would say you are better off playing the lottery, it is low risk (you are risking a dollar) but high benefit potential..(hitting the big one) Ever wonder why millions play the lottery even tho most people understand it is a "voluntary tax", that is, about 50cents of your lottery dollar goes to some "worthwhile" government program, and the other 50cents is paid back to the lottery players in the form of "winnings"?

• HadIt.com Elder
Shark...

Based on what you said in the post, using a risk/benefit analysis, there is no need to file for hypertension...as you said there is nothing to gain as 10% wont add anything, and more to loose...time.

I like doing thinks that are low risk and high benefits, the scenario you mentioned is low risk but no potential benefit. I would say you are better off playing the lottery, it is low risk (you are risking a dollar) but high benefit potential..(hitting the big one) Ever wonder why millions play the lottery even tho most people understand it is a "voluntary tax", that is, about 50cents of your lottery dollar goes to some "worthwhile" government program, and the other 50cents is paid back to the lottery players in the form of "winnings"?

I believe you should file a claim to service connect the hypertension as secondary to your service connected diabetes for 2 reasons: (1) You might be eligible for service connected disabled life insurance and (2) If hypertension were to cause or contribute to your death then your survivors would possibly receive Death and Indemnity Compensation if a claim for DIC was filed by your eligible survivors and you had been service connected for this condition as secondary to your service connected diabetes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your htn should be an inferred issue.

File the claim. You are losing money by not.

There is a host of secondaries that can be related to HTN. Soem forms of heart disease that canot be caused by DMII suck as Arrythmias and ect.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.