Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

pete

Question

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%. Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%.  Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the GAF scale says between 61 and 70 you are "generally functioning pretty well and has some meaningfull interpersonal relationships".

It says on the report this psychiatric resident wrote that I have no real friends to speak of and that I've never been able to stay in a meaningfull relationship. She also says that she reviewed my c-file on page one and on page three says I have never been married. If she had reviewed my c-file she would have seen my two divorce decrees. I'm absolutely livid and have that hate welling up inside me that I used to get over there.

• HadIt.com Elder

10% for PTSD is a joke right. No way could someone who has PTSD be rated that low. I am griping about the stupid VA not you Pete.

Do you have a scar where you have the shrapnel? That is ratable also.

In my opinion if you are able to work and have a GAF of 61 you should be service connected at minimum of 30% and should be 50%. That is my opinion but I think I am correct on it.

Good Luck and I think you should appeal the low ball rating.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

It takes me forever to do a post and I typed for about an hour and hit the "back" button and lost it.

I will come back later and try to repost that info.

Magoo aka Bill

<b>... Magoo ... </b>

<b>... At this very moment ... many in the U.S. Military are in ... "HARM'S WAY" ... please, let us NOT forget them ...</b>

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

I was totally disabled for years after Vietnam and I was awarded 10%. It took 30 years to get it to 80% but this is after I healed myself to the extent I am able to funtion at all. APPEAL! This is just typical low ball rating.

I read somewhere that the VA must consider you at your lowest GAF score in order to find a "low point" in your functionality and determine how often you reach that "low point". This RO, as many do, took the highest GAF they saw in order to give you a lower rating. Believe me, if the VA doctor said you had a 30 GAF your RO would have used the IMO of a 45 GAF.

Here's what you should do - Get the credentials of the doctor(s) that did your IMO and compare them to the VA doctor (my guess is that your IMO was far more qualified). Ask your civilian doctor for a full evaluation and give them a brief summary on what the VA is looking for (IE - occupational and social imparement, severity of the disorder, employability, etc). Take this evaluation (if it's in your favor) and send it in with your NOD...also, put in the NOD that you have seen these independent doctors for X amount of months and point out that they have a far better knowledge of your case and that they are far better qualified to evaluate you. Wouldn't hurt to throw in the regs on accepting IMOs and fit YOUR symptoms into the criteria for a given rating (IE - there is specific requirements for each level of rating..10%..20%..30%.....100%, and try to match your exact symptoms to the highest rating you can).