Hearing Loss & Tinnitus

Rate this question

Gulfvet

Question

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had a bva rating decision on Feb 12, 2009. I filed for hearing loss and tinnitus in 2003. I had no record in my service file about tinnitus or hearing loss. The Bva remanded hearing loss to the Amc and is at the Bva awaiting there decision. I was granted 10% for tinnitus with back pay from 2003 which I received about 2 months ago. Here is the Bva reasons for decision: Service connection for tinnitus. BVA granted entitlement to service connection for tinnitus in it's January 21, 2009 decision. Service connection for tinnitus has therefor been established as directly related to military service. This action merely effectuates BVA's decision. An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned from August 18, 2003. This is the date that your informal claim for benifits was received. A valid claim on signed VA form 21-526 was received on March 4, 2004. A evaluation of 10% is granted for RECURRENT tinnitus. Take note people! recurrent I was told is nessisary to be awarded, meaning constant or regular ringing of the ears which mine are and was asked that by the BVA law judge at my vidio conference on Nov, 18 2008. The evidence of record indicates that you have tinnitus. The tinnitus was PITCH-MATCHED on Va examination (C&P). The tinnitus is not acute and transitory. The tinnitus is not so disableling as to warrant extra-schedualing consideration. This decision represents a BVA grant that is considered to be a full and final determiation of the issue on appeal. So see you don't have to have tinnitus in you service medical file to be awarded it! It took me 6 years to be awarded but the back pay was nice. I hope this helps someone! Les

I took one test which covered both hearing loss and Tinnitus. Received 10% for Tinnitus and was rated at 0% for hearing loss.

Same for me. I have never understood how they can say the tinnitus is realted to my job in the military but my hearing loss is not. It is my understanding that one can not have tinnitus without a hearing loss.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hearing loss was on my separation examination papers in 1967, so I filed for hearing loss in 1997 & tinitis after I heard I may be entitled to benefits without being in combat.

The VARO rater wrote in his denial, that l I told the C&P examiner my military occupation was a marine boiler repairman and operator when my military occupation was a truck driver.

My dd214 shows nearly four yrs of sea duty aboard a heavy destroyer as a Boilerman. Rate of 4500.

They can sure lie, but they can't read a dd214.

I eventually won my hearing loss and tinitis claim. It helped to go to a free examination at one of the hearing clinics that sell hearing aides. With that saying it was likely caused by working around marine boilers, the RO ordered yet another C&P and this one also came back as caused by marine boilers. I guess they felt since lying and Dr shoping didn't work, they may as well grant it because I wasn't giving up and going away.