Hearing Loss & Tinnitus

Rate this question

Gulfvet

Question

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is no test for Tinnitus. Also most people do the hearing test wrong. The Army is conducting a accurate hearing test, but the DVA does it the old fashion way which is wrong. You should be asked to listen to the sounds/tones in environment that has a fair amount of background noise. If you can hear the sounds, more power to you, but if not, you should receive some type of disability rating to include a 0% rating.

If you get a 10% rating for anything, your entitled to free hearing aides and free eye glasses.

What did you say?????

There is no test for Tinnitus. Also most people do the hearing test wrong. The Army is conducting a accurate hearing test, but the DVA does it the old fashion way which is wrong. You should be asked to listen to the sounds/tones in environment that has a fair amount of background noise. If you can hear the sounds, more power to you, but if not, you should receive some type of disability rating to include a 0% rating.

If you get a 10% rating for anything, your entitled to free hearing aides and free eye glasses.

Do you mean a whisper test? If you do that is not a reliable test, since it does not measure hearing loss accurately.

68mustang

OK, here is the deal. When I left the service in 1992 my hearing test shows significant hearing loss. Yesturday I had my C&P for my hearing loss claim. The tester said that the test from yesterday and 1992 are pretty much the same so she will tell the VA that I am 0%. I filled a claim in 1992 but I was never given a C&P in 1992. She also said that my 1992 shows significant hearing loss and if the VA did a C&P in 1992 I would have 10%. My point is, if the 1992 test shows significant hearing loss due to my military service and yesterday's test are pretty much the same, the damage has been already done. I think I will wait to see the VA's rating and then file a NOD if they give my 0% because the hearing loss was due to my MOS, mechanic.

Gulfvet,

I feel your pain but you would have to be deaf to get a 10% rating for hearing loss. I worked on the flightline bombers and tankers failed my last 3 hearing test 0%. If you search the board you will see that most are SC'ed at 0%. And remember the tester is not the rater and probably has no knowledge of the diagnostic codes. If it is still the same has not gotten worse then no change in the rating is warranted. Good luck!

Edited by kw34

Are the hearing test and the tinnitus test done at the same time or are they different tests?

I had one exam by VAMC audiology. My claim was for bi-lateral hearing loss. I had no hearing loss exam on separation or since.

Based on their exam. I was rate SC for bi-lateral hearing loss 0% and SC for tinnitus at 20%.

I have constant ringing in my ears and was given hearing aids by the VAMC even before the C & P exam.

I also applied for both .The Exam was given at the VAMC Bath NY.I was tested for both then same day same room.I was rated connected but at 0%..The reason I claimed was because another Exam done said I was bad enough to need hearing Aids in both ears.. But The VAMC in Bath, NY said I was not even 10%.. When I came home from the Gulf in 1991 The doctor their said I needed to stay when I was outprocessing at Ft Jackson S.C. because I had sugnificent hearing loss.. and apply for comp she was upset with me because I said no I am going home.. Now I will fight to get what They would have given me 18 years ago...... Bunch of normal Bull S^!# from The VA..MY wife and kids say they have got to holler at me to talk to Me, My hearing Sucks .. My exam from my private phycian said I was like 40% right and 20% left.. Go Figure.. ringing is sometime,s bad enough to stop what I am doing and hold my ears and close my eyes until it stops...

Macool :rolleyes:

Edited by macool