Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cognitive & Mental Health Tests

Rate this question

WHOLESALE

Question

Hello again, I had some testing done today by a private doctor due to my mood disorder increase and my claim for IU.

My question is how much weight does the VA give to these tests?

Frank

Edited by WHOLESALE

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

it seems that you have to make sure that they write what you say. I can show you copies of both reports I've had within the last three years and they show a difference especially the GAF.

Is it just test results or is there a letter to go with it explaining how your condition has gotten worse thus affecting your quality of life, etc, etc.

If it's just the test results....imo...I doubt they will hold much weight with the VA. But that's just me. You need a good strong letter from the doc who did the testing.

I would add that to the extent possible to use the VA's own verbiage in the letter. Words do matter and unless you use their exact words they seem to discount them. There is a page that describes levels of impairment due to mental conditions here:

http://www.vva.org/ptsd_levels.html

It is taken from Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 4.130 Diagnostic Code (DC) 9411

The language there should be used when possible.

it seems that you have to make sure that they write what you say. I can show you copies of both reports I've had within the last three years and they show a difference especially the GAF.

I had two GAF ratings by VA raters one was 32 and the other (from the C & P exam) was 45. I was rated at 30% and it seemed largely a matter of the fact that I had, at one time, been functioning ok (I am not now)...I think I was under-rated and will appeal, but the low rating is keeping me from applying for TDIU, so it will make getting to TDIU a two step process instead of one and cost me months.

Does seem you were low balled.

I had two GAF ratings by VA raters one was 32 and the other (from the C & P exam) was 45. I was rated at 30% and it seemed largely a matter of the fact that I had, at one time, been functioning ok (I am not now)...I think I was under-rated and will appeal, but the low rating is keeping me from applying for TDIU, so it will make getting to TDIU a two step process instead of one and cost me months.

I think I was under-rated and will appeal, but the low rating is keeping me from applying for TDIU, so it will make getting to TDIU a two step process instead of one and cost me months.

jsdwd,

I will consider you a very lucky claimant if

it ONLY costs you months.

jmho,

carlie

I was given a gaf of 60 after I told the doc I sometimes communicated via email. He said that since I was ok to use the computer my gaf is higher.

Does this sound dumb? Did to me.

Frank