Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cognitive & Mental Health Tests

Rate this question

WHOLESALE

Question

Hello again, I had some testing done today by a private doctor due to my mood disorder increase and my claim for IU.

My question is how much weight does the VA give to these tests?

Frank

Edited by WHOLESALE

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't believe the VA puts as much emphasis on our GAF scores as we do. It's usually only one number (sometimes more) that is a snapshot in time and means very little. It's the history and facts in the medical records that is what really matters.

I was given a gaf of 60 after I told the doc I sometimes communicated via email. He said that since I was ok to use the computer my gaf is higher.

Does this sound dumb? Did to me.

Frank

I have gotten email from many people who were obviously deranged...

sounds totally off the wall....dumb even.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are working that is the real factor in getting a high percentage rating for MH claims. You will notice they always ask if you are working during the C&P. That is the difference between a 50% and a 70-100% rating. I was 30% and working. When I lost my job everything was the same except now I was rated 70% because I was unable to work due to my SC disability. They I got IU. It all boils down to be able to work since is really the main difference between just have a problem, and being severely disabled in VA Think.

If you are working that is the real factor in getting a high percentage rating for MH claims. You will notice they always ask if you are working during the C&P. That is the difference between a 50% and a 70-100% rating. I was 30% and working. When I lost my job everything was the same except now I was rated 70% because I was unable to work due to my SC disability. They I got IU. It all boils down to be able to work since is really the main difference between just have a problem, and being severely disabled in VA Think.

John did you get 70% and then have to apply for IU or were you granted IU after you were 70%.