Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Re; Finding The Fakes Among The Heroes

Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavtroop

Your post is really funny. I always wondered what they drilled into OCS cadidates in 6 months that led the Army to believe that was enough for men in combat. You know there was a strong recruitment effort made to get candidates for OCS when I was going through basic. They did not bother to tell the candidates they would most likely be infantry officers,and if they dropped out they would be 11b infantry enlisted. I guess the first rule the 2nd Lt learned was humility if they wanted to survive and not kill their men. I think sending a green officer to take over a platoon in combat was a crazy idea. I know they rotated the new officers out after 6 months which was another crazy idea. The grunts must have really loved getting a brand new officer who believed he could win the war.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavtroop

Your post is really funny. I always wondered what they drilled into OCS cadidates in 6 months that led the Army to believe that was enough for men in combat. You know there was a strong recruitment effort made to get candidates for OCS when I was going through basic. They did not bother to tell the candidates they would most likely be infantry officers,and if they dropped out they would be 11b infantry enlisted. I guess the first rule the 2nd Lt learned was humility if they wanted to survive and not kill their men. I think sending a green officer to take over a platoon in combat was a crazy idea. I know they rotated the new officers out after 6 months which was another crazy idea. The grunts must have really loved getting a brand new officer who believed he could win the war.

John999,

You are so right. We did so many dumb things during that war that we didn't do in other wars. Company Commanders only kept their company for six months, and I think the same was true with battalion commanders although my memories is fading so I might be off on that one. It seemed like the entire officer corp was trying to get the right tickets punched. Platoon leaders kept the platoon for about six months if they lasted that long <_< Man--that was tough times.

I was an armor guy, but went to flight school and spent my tour flying snakes (cobras) and running a cobra platoon in the Air Cav so my war was a lot different from the poor infantry guys who humped the bush day in and day out. I take my hat off to those guys.

Cavtrooper H troop 10th Air Cav 72-73

Cavtrooper088, yes, I'm saying I don't believe him. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. I won't say anything more about it or him.

pr

Phillip,

No sweat. I can understand where you are coming from and I think we are all a little more skeptical nowadays. SGMdae's a good buddy of mine so I wanted to give him a little covering fire. Here I am fighting the good fight, and I know for a fact that he is out of town this week winning the "hearts and minds" of a local native over in Iowa instead of manning his post and monitoring hadit like a good soldier. <_<

PR-Thanks again for the VA experience you've shared with all of us. I've learned a lot from your posts--please keep them coming.

Cav

Comander Bob, I agree with you about the use of the word "HERO" used so much anymore. Sometimes words are overused for too many reasons. I am greatful for all who have served before me and after me, and I know many vets of many wars/conflicts, but they were paid to do a job, and did it well, and offerred the best they had, but my true hero was my cousin, who lost his life in Viet Nam, he served proudly and made the ultimate sacrifice, his life. He will always be my "HERO!" This is just my personal opinion, not meant to devalue anyone else or the conflicts they served in, or medals they won. War is hell, and I appreciate all who fought.

Thank each and everyone for your gallent service. I have family members who have won bronze stars with "v" and many with combat ribbons,ph, many other medals, and They wore their uniform with the honor they served with(including 2 of my sons, one Persian Gulf and Somalia vet, and the other Bosnia). Both fought battles, survived, received commendations, and I am very proud of their service too. One got E-5 just right at 3 yr mark. Left at 18 yr old hs grad and returned a very decorated different man in his place. I have possession of their DD214's so I can see alot right there., and also have possession

and copies of the commemdations received for their service. Yet never do they attempt to talk about their service records/try to brag about what they did/saw on active duty military. They served their enlistment and came out to a very different civilian world. Vets can understand the bond with other vets, and the commonality shared doesn't have to be told to others unless one would want to. Most I know just try to live their lives out in a hectic different world in which we grew up in. I again feel proud to have served, and have had 2 of my son's continue the tradition as my father before me, and his father, etc.

All veterans are a special breed of people. Unselfish of own , and serving America, the home of the free and the brave. Koodos to all. God Bless all brothers, and sisters.

I don't do a lot of face to face with vets, these days. Years ago when the Vietnam vet wannabes and fakers, started to recount their days in the jungle. I would ask them one question: " So, what was your MOS?" A blank stare, or hesitation, usually gave them away.

I am also a bit disappointed how the word "HERO", is thrown around, these days. It devalues the word and the deeds. Just being incountry, does not make one a hero.

Well put Halos2. Thank you and your family for defending our country. I also agree with Commander Bob about the word "hero" being overused especially by the media. God Bless all our Vets----past, present and futur

Cav

Just getting caught up. Great Reading, shake and Bake, Officer punching their tickets, 6 months and a rotation. Green Lt, trying to win the war, taking chances to get a body count, ribbons on their chest, and a new assignment. I am enlisted, couldn't score high enough to be officer, and I fought my entire life with my superiors. I seen too much, too many bad decisions, to be total respectful to a bad Decision.

So you know, I made bad decisions in RVN, that caused WIA/KIA, it part of the system. That why I am on this site, still sorting out right from wrong, good from evil, and try to get a hold of this guilt I have about being spared and Living.

For anyone that doubts my location, I can get the eight digit Grid. It still in my head