Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caution: Possible Triggers:

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I have a son who just got to Iraq about 3 weeks ago. I think he is way, way, way, to green to be in the war. He just joined the Army in October, and now he is in Iraq.

This is the email I got this morning:

"Yesterday, 2 September 2009, our brigade suffered two deaths as a result

of a non-hostile accident. This accident involved the battalion to

which your loved one is assigned. Each Soldier's Next of Kin has been

notified, and we expect public release of the Soldiers' names to follow

soon. We are actively planning a memorial service in coordination with

the forward command. As details are confirmed, we will provide you

additional information. I will also provide you a copy of the official

news release when it is released by the Department of Defense. Our

thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time."

If "next of kin" has been notified, then I guess that is not my son, as I have not been notified. Still, I am pretty stressed about this. I am not blaming the messenger.

I have both a son and a son in law in Iraq right now.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh Bronco, my family and I too will pray for your son, his troop and the loss of his unit brothers. I almost didn't read this post because of its title, but am thankful I did.

A fathers love like yours is wonderous,

God Bless you and yours.

Cowgirl & family

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Cowgirl...

Thanks..sometimes I needed to hear that I am a good Dad. Allowing him to go to Iraq without the proper gear sometimes makes me wonder.

Clark...

Thank you also for your generous offer. I am going to order his gear and send it to him. It isnt about the money, it is about that I cant beleive our Army sends troops that are not prepared. If he does not have an ammo belt, what else does he not have, a weapon? I just wish I knew a good Army website to get official gear. I dont want to send him "play stuff" which could fail in combat.

All

This "young Vet" is not going to get left behind on this desert trail if I have anything to say about it! I am so disturbed about this, I am considering going to the media. What do you guys think?

I wish the improper gear would make more news time!

My son, on his first tour, had to put old pieces of tin layered and anything else they could find to harden the floor boards of the humves, now driving all over being point man, when they had to convoy,the road roadside IED's took out a lot of friends because of that. I hope the military fixed this by now.

Also, not having proper flak vest, etc. He had a guy blow Himself up 100m in front of him, had he not saw what the guy was going to do he would have been taken out from shrapnel, so He had to buy His own proper body armor & other gear online for the most part. ( he said it wasn't pretty picking up after that.

Have you ever seen those Frog towels sold at sporting goods stores, that you can wet and it stays cool for hours...that would help your son when it's not Winter.

BoonDoc

P.S. your showing that your a good father by sending him what he needs when the military falls short.

Edited by BoonDoc

BoonDoc

Sailors see the World as 2/3rds full

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

My prayers are w/ your son, your family, and all the troops that are in harms way.

babyray

Edited by babyray

i am the man who offered to get his belt. i work in a bakery at nights and my boss supports the local uso alot, if you would maybe you can send me his address and will make sure he will get a care pkg full of goodies, also for xmas. !!!!! thanks cnamias@comcast.net :D B) :) :)