Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chap 35

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I have recently been awarded IU, and I was told by the rater when she called that my family did not qualify for chapter 35. I was recently told by a person at the school my child has applied to that she does qualify, and that she should apply. I don't want to disappoint her nor do I want to end up owing the VA should she collect benies that she is not qualified for. what should I do? and whom should I ask for a definite answer. thanks for your input and advice. I did apply online with her yesterday so we will see what happens.

Edited by navydoc2

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am not P&T, my award letter says I have future exams scheduled, which is why I don't understand that the councelor would say that she is qualified.

navy,

Because the counselor only half azzed knows what they are talking about.

In receiving IU the veteran is compensated at the 100 % rate

BUT

does not get all of the benefits that come along with P&T, like Chapter 35,

some states full property tax exemption etc...

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Carlie's correct. Some councilers don't read the fine print.

My kid qualifiies for DEA, but they were trying to tell her she would also qualify for "yellow ribbon", well you have to be post 9/11 for that. I'm not.

But I have also been told she should apply for everything, so you're not the only one confused.

Eric

Doc if she was eligible they would have awarded the basic Ch35 approval in your award letter.

Also don't worry about the application. I assure you that if she is not eligible they will deny it. At any rate, the award is hers and if they did pay anything which she was later found to be ineligible for they will deal with her and not you so it will not affect your disability payment in any way.

navy,

Check through here also, for possible additional benefits.

carlie

http://www.ok.gov/ODVA/index.html

You are so right, I do wonder if since she is in KY would she be able to use their education waiver or would I have to be a resident of that state. I will call tomorrow and ask. If thats not the case then she can go to school for free without the stipend of course or at least until i'm P&T, which I will discuss with my psychiatrist my next appt. Thanks for all your support and advice everyone.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have recently been awarded IU, and I was told by the rater when she called that my family did not qualify for chapter 35. I was recently told by a person at the school my child has applied to that she does qualify, and that she should apply. I don't want to disappoint her nor do I want to end up owing the VA should she collect benies that she is not qualified for. what should I do? and whom should I ask for a definite answer. thanks for your input and advice. I did apply online with her yesterday so we will see what happens.

Many states offer a tuition waiver for dependents of totally disabled veterans. In the meantime, make a written request to V.A. for copies of your most rating rating decision to see if an additional examination is scheduled on you by V.A. If a future examination is scheduled for you by V.A. then you are not considered permanently and totally disabled. In order for your daughter to receive chapter 35 dependents educational assistance you must be rated permanently and totally disabled by V.A.