Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recruiting

Rate this question

babyray

Question

Members, do anyone remember back in 1956, the recruiting billboards and posters saying "Join the US Navy, if you have a high school diploma, we will guarantee you a Navy school that you can attend." The recruiter in New Orleans, where I enlisted, confirmed this when I joined. I was a high school graduate but for 4 years, I applied for a navy school but was flatly refused. This made me very angry and made me become very,depressed. This year when I had a C&P exam for MDD, I told the doc and he noted that in his progress notes. I guess you can call this a stressor. I am 10% for MDD which I filed a RECON claim and is waiting a decision. Does anyone, whose old enough, remember this back in 1956. Please go back to 1956 and see if you can remember this recruiting slogan.

Babyray

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I meant no disrespect towards anybody and if I did I will apologize for it I should of been professional about this and watch what I said. I guess been under so much strees makes people say things that they would have never said. I enjoy been a memeber of this site and I will never say or do anything to hurt anybody on this site after all we are all bound by something and that is being veterans.Babyray I am sorry for taking your topic out of context please accept my apologies and I look foward in chating with you in the future and providing my experiences with the va.

I accept your apology. It was just a simple ?

babyray

• HadIt.com Elder
Members, do anyone remember back in 1956, the recruiting billboards and posters saying "Join the US Navy, if you have a high school diploma, we will guarantee you a Navy school that you can attend."

Babyray

I remember a around a decade later, when MacNamara was calling the shots during the Vietnam era, enlistees were not required to have a high school diploma to sign up. It' was called "MacNamara's one hundred thousand".

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder
I was trained as a pilot in the military. Here is how they train you. They take you out back to the manure pile. They tell you to pilot it from this pile to that pile.

Did you pile it high, broncovet? I remember volunteering to become a "Fireman" in basic training. I thought it would be fun to drive around and put out fires. Later, I found out that a fireman in basic, in the army, was the guy that stoked the furnace with coal, in the barracks. Ha... at least it got me out of KP.

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

I realized that very little was promised in the Army, but I did get a school in writing and they tried to not give it to me. My dad had to sign the enlistment contract and told them at HQ's that he was going to sue them personally for breach of contract, since he was a civilian. I don't know if he could or not, but it worked.

• HadIt.com Elder
I realized that very little was promised in the Army, but I did get a school in writing and they tried to not give it to me. My dad had to sign the enlistment contract and told them at HQ's that he was going to sue them personally for breach of contract, since he was a civilian. I don't know if he could or not, but it worked.

Your dad was looking out for you. Good man. Were you 17 when you joined?

"We few"

"We happy few"