VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/advisory Committee On Disability Compensation

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

This needs quick action to get your comments to Ersie Farber at the VA who is handling the correspondence for this commission.

Here they come again, please write your opinions on changes to the VA compensation for PTSD for 100% or TDIU veterans, one of their ideas is to stop IU payments when the veterans reaches retirement age at 65, my opinion is below, like most people I have opinions on most subjects but being rated 100% schedular for PTSD leaves me as one of the targets of this commission, they have had two recent commissions on this similar subject in the past 3 years the Dole/Shalala Commission and the VDBC Veterans Disability Benefits Commission chaired by the same man chairing this commission LTG Scott

Comments should be e mailed to Ersie.farber@va.gov

PTSD/Advisory Committee on Disability Compensation

On Sep 21-22, the Advisory Committee on Disability Compensation meets in Arlington. This committee is now chaired by the same LTG Scott who chaired the infamous Veterans’ Disability Benefits Commission. While they intend to concede some items on PTSD, they are in fact attempting to recommend an end to TDIU and 100% disability. Please forward this to all concerned.

Kurt; Vet Advocate

kpriessman@yahoo.com

To the Members of the Commission; 19 September 2009

I just learned of this commission and it's purpose this morning, it is the first mention of it I had even seen, and I try and stay informed of veterans issues. I am a veteran of the Vietnam War Era active duty from October 31, 1973 - September 1982 leaving as a Staff Sergeant Promotable. I then joined the Army National Guard in Augusta Georgia, the local unit was an Engineer battalion, the 878th HHC in Augusta. I volunteered in November 1990 when the 878th was not going to be activated to transfer to the 48th Infantry Brigade that was being activated for Desert Storm and need infantry NCO's to fill out the units, I was assigned to HHC 1/121st Infantry as a Squad Leader in a 4.2 Mortar Unit.

I was diagnosed with PTSD by a team of psychiatrists and pyschologists by a VA PTSD team after four months of testing and interviews. The incident which the VA based my PTSD on was an attempted murder and robbery by 7 fellow soldiers at Fort Wainwright Alaska on Feb 6, 1975. Four of the men were sentenced by General Court Martial to 15 years in Leavenworth, the other 3 were reduced by Filed Grade Article 15 to PV1 and all were given Bad Conduct Discharges, I was transferred from the 9th ID at Fort Lewis, to the 2nd ID in August 1975 to get me away from the friends of the men found guilty of the attack. It was considered a racial incident and the Army's solution was to get me off Fort Lewis as soon as possible after the trials ended, I left within a week.

Needless to say there are other incidents that occurred over my Army career that would be considered "stressors" as well, the human experiments at Edgewood Arsenal, when I learned the full extent of what really happened at Edgewood Arsenal in October 2002, my life took a deep spiral. I was on the DMZ got the Operation Paul Bunyan, I knew CPT Bonifas and 1LT Barrett, and 1LT Charles Pigg although at JSA they made him wear name tags identifying him as 1LT Charles. I was assigned to Camp Lilberty Bell, which was located across the MSR on the DMZ itself. The men of Camp Liberty Bell used the PX at JSA frequently, I also knew 1LT Pigg at Fort Lewis when we were both in the 2/47 Infantry battalion.

I am not proud of the way I lived my civilian life after leaving the Army, like most NCOs of the time, I drank quite a bit, it was "normal" back then, Bosses nights at the NCO club where we brought the Officers and Right hand night at the Officers clubs where they brought the senior NCOs in the unit. Company parties used to provide beer from the unit funds, many NCOs hid their PTSD thru self medicating, admitting symptoms of PTSD was a career ender back then.

I then went to work for the Postal Service where many veterans worked and many of the Supervisors knew the symptoms of PTSD and they worked with the other veterans, one of my surpervisors was a 100% disabled Ranger 1SG Dale Curry, he knew I had problems as did a few other carriers with military histories, quite a few of us had problems self medicating, Dale got many of us into a Postal service program for couseling to help us keep our jobs rather than get terminated. I have four failed marriages, 2 DUI's and various other problems in my past, am I proud of this no, but it is what it is.

I was ashamed of being "weak" I spent years telling my troops to suck it up, be a man, you have to forget the men you lost, training accidents happened, we named places after them, but the job still had to be done, so we have the memorial service and then it's back to the mission. The mission always comes first, drive on. Be all that you can be.

I don't know the right answers on how to "adjust" compensation for these totally disabled veterans with "PTSD" how can I be expected to change my lifestyle from my current VA compensation when I turn 65 "retirement age" to be reduced from 100% Scehdular to lets say 70%, as wel all know 70% rating is not 70% of the 100% pay it is less than half of the pay, how am I supposed to make my mortgage paymenst, pay my utility bills, car payments, insurance, buy groceries etc? What happens to the state benefits I get because I am a 100% disabled veteran, discounts on property taxes, free disabled license plates for my 2 vehicles, that would all be gone if the Commission recommends reducing retirement age disabled veterans from either TDIU or a 100% schedular rating.

Given the fact that I like many other veterans would have had out 100% schedular ratings for more than ten years what would be the basis for reducing us, because we have reached retirement age? Where is any type of historical basis for doing such an action, and besides what other than saving money for the government would even be the reason for this? Is this the PROMISE future veterans have to look forward to, if you are disabled we will compensate you at this higher rate until you turn age 65 and then we are going to reduce your compensation. Has the government proposed reducing the retirement pay of any other federal employees at age 65 or offsetting it against their Social Security payments? They shouldn't both are earned benefits, one thru work and other thru the SSDI payments each individual makes thruout their working years.

As I am sure you are aware most disabled veterans already receive SSD payments if they are rated either 100% schedular or TDIU and have been receiving these payments along with their veterans benefits. Both have been paid for and and due to the veterans one is the SSD is anm insurance program that each and every American is eligible for if they become disabled before regular retirement age, and the VA compensation is the payment each military member gets for losing part of themselves either physically or mentally thru their service to this nation commoningly known as the PROMISE.

Two previous commission the VDBC recommended a 25% immediate increase in compensation for quality of life issues that the commission felt the disabled veterans were not being properly compensated for. Despite this report being published over 2 years ago, nothing has been done, even the Dole/Shalala Commission recommended immediate raises in compensation, although that commission recommended higher benefits for the veterans of the 2 new wars, Iraq and Afghanistan, and ignore the veterans of the older wars, the Cold War, Gulf War One, Vietnam, Korea and WW2, Senator Dole made comments that creating a two tier veterans compensation was acceptable to him one that paid veterans of the new wars more money than veterans from the First Gulf War and past, that the veterans would accept it, if it meant that new disabled veterans would get better benefits.

That was an assumption on his part only, no two tier system is acceptable, we are all disabled veterans, and we all should be compensated equally based on our percentages, not which war we served in.

Mt step father was a WW2 Army Air Corp B 17 flight crew member, he stayed and retired from the Air Force in 1961, he then went to work for the Postal Service as Civil Service and then became disabled and drew SSD based on his military service, he was a "triple dipper" one of those that President Reagan went after in the 80's, but Dale was grandfathered in, he had earned and deserved all three benefit payments. But future retirees lost their SS benefits to their military retirements and Civil Service retirement benefits.

I am sure this action saved the United States a few hundred million dollars over the years, but they broke a lot of promises in this action.

Given that todays military is all voluntary, does the nation want to go down the road of telling future recruits that if you happen to become totally disabled by mental problems PTSD/TBI etc, we will pay you more money until you turn 65 and then we are going to reduce your pay level to barely above poverty level. How will this entice people to enlist in the service to learn that in their elederly years when they can not obtain a decent paying job, the veterans agency that is supposed to take care of them, is going to stick it to them, and reduce their income so the federal government can save some money, after all the veterans are older now, they shouldn't expect to live so well at 65 as they did at 55, now should they?

How many of this commission are going to have their retirement incomes adjusted down decades after becoming used to that certain level of income, and what would it do to your household to frop from 3,000 a month income to 1400.00 a month income, and you are not physically or mentally able to obtain work to replace that income, or lose your home because after years of not having to pay property taxes because you have been considered totally disabled by the VA, only to have the state send a tax bill of 5,000 a year that has never had to be paid before, ad valorem taxes for cars that had been exempt and now you owe an extra 1000.00 a year in vehicle fees?

You will not just be saving the federal governent a few dollars you will be totally destroying many people's lives. In some cases like mine my wife has not been able to work for the past 10 years, as I am unable to drive and it is not safe to leave me unattended for 8-10 hours a day, panic attacks, fall asleep witha lit cigarette due to being drowsy from the meds the VA shrinks have me on, to make me more compatible with other people, without the meds, I don't play well with others.

Please consider all of these factors when you make your decisions, I can live without a 25% immediate pay hike, I don't see how I could make it if at 65 you decide to reduce my income by half and then make my property taxable after the past 10 years of being tax exempt and having my lifestyle set to my income. Is it to much to expect the government to keep the PROMISE and care for us until we die, and our survivors with DIC benefits that was promise when we enlisted 10-50 years ago?

Michael G Bailey

US Army Infantry SSG disabled

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

As a former recruiter...and a PROUD vet...talk like this seems almost un-patriotic to me. Just my opinion. If anyone wants to join the military to defend our great country, who are we to try to talk them out of it? I'd be proud if my boys wanted to join the military!

i have 2 sons in with 4 combined tours to iraq and afghanistan. telling young men not to go to the military is putting my sons in danger......flashback..1969......what did we think back then when the hippies told us not to join????

purple & jim n ok,

No one has said anything un-patriotic or said don't join the military.

MikeR stated and I raised a second on:

"I would stand outside of recruiting stations in my spare time with a cane and tell potential recruits that if they injure you for life, they won't take care of you for life."

So I am requesting you both to NOT CONTINUE taking posts and words out of context

and spinning them into something that was not said or implied.

After all, if the VA is taking such wonderful care of you and you've always

been treated fair and square by VA - then what are you even doing at Hadit.com ?

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
i have 2 sons in with 4 combined tours to iraq and afghanistan. telling young men not to go to the military is putting my sons in danger......flashback..1969......what did we think back then when the hippies told us not to join????

somewhere a lot of disabled veterans who have been abused by the VA claims system seem to have lost their "patriotic fever" when the PROMISE was broken, you also have to remember a lot of people say things they have no intention of doing, they are just venting, but for curiosity sake how would someone not joining the military put anyone at risk it is all volunteer now, there is no draft so how could the refusal of todays young to join a system that does not keep it's promises put the volunteers of today at risk, because they might have to do more repeat tours of duty? There is always a solution for that, get out when their enlistment is done. When the hippies were telling people in the 60s not to join and run to Canada there was also a draft going on, and unless you had the pull to get into a reserve unit or a national guard unit or keep getting college deferrals in some case 4 and 5 years in a row you got drafted and it was mostly the ones who could not afford college even the draft was not as universal as most would have the population think...

people vent here because they have HADIT with the government and their broken promises and failure of the VA to do the right thing, thats what brought most of us here

but we all know that would be the outcome and your intent....i mean, what else would your intent be of disrupting recruiting efforts?

if you don't intend to hinder recruiting and keep young ppl from joining, then why not tell your msg to folks who have already joined?

I have read each of these threads, and I feel that Testvet did a excellent job on his letter identifying the issues that are coming our way.

It open a lot of scars from Vets that feel they have not been treated well by the VA

I am new to the system, first visits to the VAMC, and the first claim for compensation.

I got to say, I have been treated very well, and feel they want to take care of me. My claim process has been above average, I might change my mind when I get my first rating, assuming it will be low. lol

I still feel very loyal to my country, and would recommend HS grads to enter. Yes that includes my Family

If any one has issues and can help the TestVets case, please tackle it professionally as he did and I am sure you will be heard.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have read each of these threads, and I feel that Testvet did a excellent job on his letter identifying the issues that are coming our way.

It open a lot of scars from Vets that feel they have not been treated well by the VA

I am new to the system, first visits to the VAMC, and the first claim for compensation.

I got to say, I have been treated very well, and feel they want to take care of me. My claim process has been above average, I might change my mind when I get my first rating, assuming it will be low. lol

I still feel very loyal to my country, and would recommend HS grads to enter. Yes that includes my Family

If any one has issues and can help the TestVets case, please tackle it professionally as he did and I am sure you will be heard.

Thank you for the kind words, but after fighting with these bastards for 7 years I have learned how to deal with them, raising hell in letters to the Commissions and elected officials does no one any good, just state the facts, your feelings how it will affect you and yours, and what your desires are, the hope is they spend the time to read it, if it starts as a rant they will set it aside, best practice in dealing with the VA is keep is simple and to the point, the less said the better, try and keep correspondence to the VARO to one page or less, stick with evidence when dealing with claims issues no personal feelings it doesn't help, commissions are different, trustme Congressmen and senators usually only set your claims process back rather than advance it, I have been there and done that.

I am glad you have had a good experience so far, if you keep it all the way thru your claims process you will be the exception rather than the rule, people here at this website are here for a reason they have all "HAD IT" with the VA regional offices messing over our claims, many of us have claims that took 5 or more years in some cases more than a decade, so there is a lot of experience on how to mess up claims and how to do them right, many people here know more about VA law than lawyers do, and most are better Service officers than the people who work at the VA regional offices as SOs, there is a LOT of knowledge here but the best thing you need to learn dealing with the VA is patience and persistence good luck I hope your initial claim works out the way you expect if not you know where to come for advice.... welcome to our world PS I have been diagnosed as OCD it has soemthing to do with the Army using me for a human guinea pig in the chemical weapon and drug experiments at Edgewood Arsenal and I don't trust a damn thing the govt says any more and I have a nasty habot of writing nasty letters to government officials when I am aggravated part of the OCD lol