Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need To See A Therapist?

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

I only see my Theriapist every 6months for 10mins..lol I don't feel comfortable doing group therapy..I was wondering how can you see a Theriapist atleast every 2 weeks or so? Do ou have to do walk ins? I couldn't get a straight answer from my local VA!!! I see a outside theriapist now ,but that is to costly as I have to pay it myself...

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would avoid VA therapist except for drugs. They don't have the time for you. They see hundreds of patients. They can't even remember your name without checking their notes. If you can get fee base that is good, but remember that anything you say can get back to the VA.

I only saw the VA shrink for drugs about every three months, but I did get hooked up with a VA Social Worker I currently see every two weeks, and he has been a tremendous help. I had to jump through some hoops to be able to meet one on one rather than in a group setting, but it can be done.

• HadIt.com Elder

One other thing about the Vet Centers. They are a totally seperate entity from the VA Medical Centers and they more "closely" protect the vet's treatment/medical/medication records. And, they are better staffed to deal with veteran's mental and counseling needs.

just my observations and thoughts, and, like carlie, I hope that my thoughts help another vet.

• HadIt.com Elder

C&P man granted I was 70% when I started seeing outside professionals but I live rather close to the VA medical center. They haven't given me any problem about getting services under fee basis. The VA has chiropractors now so that is definitely a possibility for you. They all say if the VA can provide service you can't get it outside. I think it depends on your total SC and the feebasis office that you are apply to. I have never had any problems with them denying any outside service to me. All the services except maybe psychotherapy are offered at my closest VA medical center.