Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Found In My Rao Newsletter ?

Rate this question

robert51

Question

VA Disability Compensation Update 05: Approximately 3 million veterans...about 2 million of whom are under age 65...receive compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for their serviceconnected disabilities. The amount is based on a rating of an impairment’s effect on a veteran’s earnings capacity, on average; disability ratings range from zero to 100%. Additional allowances are paid to veterans whose disabilities are rated 30% or higher and who have dependent spouses, children, or parents. Veterans with disabilities may also qualify for cash payments from other sources, including workers’ compensation; private disability insurance; means-tested program benefits, such as Supplemental Security Income; and, for veterans under 65, the Social Security Disability Insurance (DI) program. About 146,000 veterans who receive disability compensation from VA also receive DI payments. When Social Security beneficiaries are eligible for disability benefits from more than one source, ceilings usually limit combined disability benefits from public sources to 80% of a recipient’s average pre-disability earnings. Those DI payments...after any reduction...are adjusted periodically to reflect changes in the cost of living and in national average wages. Veterans’ compensation payments for disabilities are not considered for that purpose, however, and thus do not apply toward limits. That same exclusion applies to means-tested benefits and to some benefits that are based on public employment.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has provided to Congress an option to reduce government spending that would limit disability compensation for veterans who receive VA disability benefits and DI payments. The option would reduce VA’s disability compensation by the amount of the DI benefit. Applying that change to current and future recipients of veterans’ compensation would affect an estimated 153,000 recipients in 2010, saving almost $1.8 billion that year and approximately $9.6 billion between 2010 and 2014. Applying the change only to veterans who are newly awarded compensation payments or DI payments would affect an estimated 3,000 recipients in 2010, saving about $40 million in outlays that year and about $1.1 billion through 2014. A rationale in favor of this option is that it would eliminate duplicate public compensation for a single disability. An argument against it is that the change would subject veterans’ disability benefits to a form of means-testing (VA benefits are considered entitlements). Moreover, to the extent that this option applied to current DI recipients, some disabled veterans would have their income reduced. [source: CBO Budget Options Vol 2 Aug 09 ++]

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you for posting this - thought Halloween was next month. I get SSDI so I'll keep up with this- VA - SSA two different things here in my mind!

• HadIt.com Elder

Whoa. Talk about taking money from us even we paid into SSDI is a travesty and the courts will be busy.

J

Edited by jbasser

Whoa. Talk about taking money from us even we paid into SSDI is a travesty and the courts will busy.

J

They had no problem dealing with "concurrent receipt" and a person's retirement for so many years service and disability compensation are no ways related.

They'll have no problem with this. Just like they have no problem voting themselves raises. Well, somebody has to pay for those... why not us? :huh:

The real irony here for me? I put off applying for SSDI for years now because I was told if I got that first, they would deduct that amount from my compensation. So now they actually are?!

• HadIt.com Elder

Nice Whoa Jbasser!

Just got SSDI myself, mentioned it to dh (dear husband) it was probably another worry he didn't need. Am mounting up for battle - could become a poster cowgirl but hey I'll fight for what's right - my earnings!

• HadIt.com Elder

This will never happen.If it does there will be hell t pay for any politician who suggests it. It will lead to means testing and require major changes in Law.

I agree it will not happen. With the recent Federal appeals court decision that veterans have Constitutionally protected "property rights" to their benefits, the chances are slim to none. I don't if it is new trend or not , but the federal courts seem to be much more sensitive to veterans issues that I have ever seen. That's exactly the way it should be given our oath the support and protect the very document that established those courts.