Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Hardship Question

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I am applying for the VA Hardship on Form #5655, Financial Status Report. It says on the instructions that this only applies for future out patient/in patient appointments only and does not apply to prescription co-payments. I am looking for help with my prescription co-payments. Is there a program that covers prescription help?

I am SC 0% and my claim is in Washington DC waiting for something to happen.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Yes, you can ask for a waiver on prescription co payments. I asked, and was declined because of my wifes income. However, if your income is very low, you should be able to get a waiver. Go to the "needs test" department at your VA. You should be able to deduct medical expenses from your income for this waiver. This is especially true if you quit taking your medicine because you cant afford it. The VA is not supposed to let that happen.

Good advice and support!! ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder
Make sure when and if your granted and if you're 50% or more you can get all those co-pays back for all medications Even if they award you less than 50 you can get the co-pays back for the meds that were for the SC condition.

That can add up over time and lord knows we need all the money we can get.

dh

YUP!

Hang on to all your receipts for all your co-pays. I got back a few hundred bucks. NICE!

ALSO, make SURE and keep all your spouses and kids medical payments/receipts.

For, if you should become 100% P&T and eligible for Chap 35 benefits for spouse and kids, then the chap 35 bennys are payable retro back to the time you became eligible (not the time the VA picks to grant your claim for P&T, but back to the time you became eligible). Several thousand dollars in my wife's case.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Am I reading what I think I'm reading?

My hubby is 70% SC. Wow, a ton of med co-pays until we found out he had free RX at the VA. He was SC in 4/08 and we started using VAMC for RX in the early part of this year. How far back can we go? Over the past 2 years, we had so much medical expenses that were not covered, (I'm including myself) it was ridiculous. Doesn't sound like we are eligible at this time for me, but is he? What form do we need to submit and what documentation? I can print off a copy of the costs directly from our pharmacy.

Thank you...

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

• In Memoriam

This was from 2005 through early 2007.

I was billed for meds from my VAMC. I sent in a request for waiver. I did call "means" test. This was while I was waiting for BVA decision. The VAMC director sent me back a letter stating that I was granted a waiver, but that I must make payments on future charges and keep up with payments.

I don't know about copay back payments as I never paid even after being billed.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

Vets Lady:

Yes, go back to your VA Medical center "Means Test" department. ASK them for refund of your copayments. Tell them your hubby is 70% and provide them with the effective date, and your applicable income. Include past years, if you think you can get money back from prior years. That is, maybe they kept charging copays inappropriately.

Depending on your income, etc. you could get a check back for copayments you paid. It could be hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Remember: The VA will BURN Veteran's tax return monies for VA prescription copayments, so you could get money back, EVEN if you did not pay it!

Vets Lady:

Also, if hubbie is 70% SC AND gets TDIU, (If he is not TDIU, you should consider asking for TDIU if he is not working), then you need to apply for Champva. Champva may cover some/all of your medication copayments. I think Champva will go back a couple years, but not before the effective date of hubbies TDIU/100% disability rating effective date.