Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus Letter In Support Of Hearing Loss

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

To Whom it may concern:

Patient was seen at this center on September 15, 2009 for a complete audiological evaluation. He complained of difficulty hearing in all listening situations and intermittent tinnitus that have been occurring for several years. Case history indicated no trauma to head, otalgia,or ottorrhea. After review of his military records complete C-file there is a history of excessive exposure to noise while in the military. He was exposed to gunfire,grenade launchers, helicopters, and large machinery constantly.

Impressions:

A severe to profound asymmetrical hearing loss was observed bilaterally. It is my professional opinion this hearing loss is more likely than not due to his military service and his history of his excessive noise exposure he suffered.

Audiology Test Results:

1. Pure tone testing indicated an asymmetrical, bilateral, sensorineural hearing loss, poorer in the right ear.

2. Using the MD word recognition test, his scores represent a 68% in the left ear and could not test the right ear.

your truly XXXXXX

The above is my nexus letter from my audiologist in support of my BVA appeal.

I would appreciate any feed back. Thank you, Stillhere

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I sure think that was a joke stillhere-

This is an excellent letter- did the audiologist also give you copy of the decibal hertz thing?

Reason I ask- I forget - but did you have C & P on this for the past decision that they can compare this new one to?

I cannot see how they would deny -but I am not sure how they will rate this.

Sometimes BVA decisions for hearing loss claims have the complete decibal results stated in the decision and can help determine the proper rating (as well as the Schedule of Ratings here at hadit.)

Once a vet has established an inservice nexus for hearing loss and acoustical exposure -I would think the VA could only question their claim if the vet -post service- was a lead rock star in a heavy metal band.

This letter sounds (pardon the pun) great and seems to have covered everything.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

sh

Great letter, only thing I would add is what the source of the acoustic trauma (loud noise) was. Aircraft (flying/flighline), weapons firing, armored vehicles, crew-served weapons, etc. Yes, the VA should have this, but don't make the RO search for what the noise exposure was. were you issued hearing protection (I don't think the army began issuing until late 60's--I know I was issued in 1972)?

My father-in-law just got SC for hearing (10%) and tinnitis (10%) for service as a tank platoon leader in the late 60's. He had a letter from the audiologist (pretty similar to yours), along with post-service medical records, and statement from a buddy and his former doctor.

Side note...he was denied SC in 1995; now he has to NOD for the EED...it's always something.

Side note #2...10% more may, or may not, increase your rating. If you are at least 83% (which rounds to 80), another 10% will bring you up to 85% which rounds to 90%.

I sure think that was a joke stillhere-

This is an excellent letter- did the audiologist also give you copy of the decibal hertz thing?

Reason I ask- I forget - but did you have C & P on this for the past decision that they can compare this new one to?

I cannot see how they would deny -but I am not sure how they will rate this.

Sometimes BVA decisions for hearing loss claims have the complete decibal results stated in the decision and can help determine the proper rating (as well as the Schedule of Ratings here at hadit.)

Once a vet has established an inservice nexus for hearing loss and acoustical exposure -I would think the VA could only question their claim if the vet -post service- was a lead rock star in a heavy metal band.

This letter sounds (pardon the pun) great and seems to have covered everything.

hi Berta, thanks for popping in you helped me so much in the past on my DB2 claim and my Heart Attack, And now the VA has finally recognized it's folly! About time!

Yes I have the full audio test and have sumbitted actually 2 nexus letters and this will be the third. My claim is still at my RO waiting to be certified to the BVA.

Someone at another site told me to go and send in the letters and maybe they will still reopen at the RO and judge it?? Not sure on that, Have you heard that too?

Of course it was Stillhere. It's ok to laugh now.

dh

Thanks I was going to just post HUH? but I was not in a laughing mood this morning. Sorry!

This damn depression or PTSD my shrink says really has me in the dumps!