Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Benefits

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here is one example of "lost benefits" that a Veteran can recover:

Veteran files for disability benefits in 2002. VA does their usual delay/deny methods but the Veteran persisits and wins his benefits effective in 2007. In order to recover his benefits, the Veteran will need to go back to the VA hospital and file for recovery of his copayments on prescription drugs, usually at the "means test" department of the hospital. When a Veteran becomes 100% his co pay is zero, but while he is waiting for his benefits, he has to pay about $8.00 per month in many cases for each prescription. The Va is ruthless about collecting their money, and will deduct it from your tax refund check, and even charge you interest. (The VA has a policy of charging Veterans interest on monies the Veteran owes, but, when the VA owes the Veteran money, the Vet gets no interest)

The VA wont automatically send the Veteran a refund of the copays..the Veteran has to apply for it.

Please post your ideas on other "lost benefits" that a Veteran can get.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Jbasser, I'm waiting to see if they agree to my EED for my knee, which would put my 20% effective YEARS before I bought any houses, so I'm thinking that I would be entitled to getting all funding fees back. I guess I have to wait to see if I get the EED before I really think about that stuff. LOL

Bronco, you do not need to be 100% to get the Nation Park Access pass. I got mine last summer and was only 70% then. I think it requires a lower % than that to rate the pass. All I did was stop at a National Park while on vacation with a copy of my award letter and 5 minutes later had my card.

• HadIt.com Elder

You only have to show you have a disability that interferes with one or more activities of daily living.

Quint, It is good thinking, aint it. 2 percent X 3 of a lot of money is a lot of money also.

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

yes, I'm curious about the retro "travel pay" issue. I was under the impression its a max of 52 or 54$/mo? would this cover only C&P exams or would this include help for say PTSD issues?

any light on this topic would be appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

Hi....

I had posted under another topic about the RX reimbursement. I took the advice posted and called the local VAMC. Was told to bring a copy of the last two years out of pocket co-pays (we can get it printed at Walgreens) and to bring it in (I don't recall the Dept. name, but have the bldg #) - submit the documentation and they would have to deny it and then we turn around and appeal the decision. The gentleman I spoke with said he would deny the charges that day and complete the appeal form on the spot while we're there. What happens from there I have no idea.

My husband was Cat. 1 until he was granted SC for 70% in April 08. We didn't know he was eligible for RX at VAMC as we still have private insurance and many of the meds he took were not on the VA list (we found out later and now have switched). He is now primarily receiving his medical at VAMC and all RX's since Jan. 09 when we found out about this benefit.

Submitting documentation of out of pocket co-pays to an outside pharmacy from 10/1/07 - 10/1/08 is what the gentlemen said to do. Now, since he became 70% in

April 2008, he would only be able to "consider" the charges from 4/08 - 1/09 when my husband starting receiving RC at VAMC. I'm not sure how this is going to play out and it will interesting to see as most of the meds he previously took were not available at VAMC.

It's at least worth a try. 100% chance of not receiving a possible reimbursement if we don't file it, so we will. The amount of $ for co-pays we paid was a fair amount of dough since he is on alot of medication. When he was on chemo, our out of pocket was ridiculous. Fortunately, we got 80% of that back from private insurance. Still, here we go with the lost benefits again......the issue on appeal with the VA is why he was on chemo. And, since that was more than 2 years ago I don't know if they will even consider it. I'll ask though.

We are hoping to receive a 100% rating on the appealed issue, it's a 100% ratable issue according to the CFR's. If they SC it and I'm fairly certain they will, but until the proof is in the pudding, there is no guarantee. We have a strong claim on this issue and strong Nexus letters, medrecs, etc. so keeping our fingers and toes crossed and hoping for the best.

A nurse at the VAMC told me that if my husband passes from a SC illness and it's been SC for at least 10 years at 100%, then I would receive his benefits rather than DIC.

Could someone point me to the right direction to find out what other benefits he may be entitled to? We know about the NP Pass, fishing.....but what are those hidden bennies?

Thank you.....

VetsLady

P.S. Forgot to mention....his 70% is all AO related.

Edited by VetsLady

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA will only reimburse VA pharmacy Co-pays. They will flat refuse outside pharmacies.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

The VA will only reimburse VA pharmacy Co-pays. They will flat refuse outside pharmacies.

J

That's what I thought too John....and, I'm sure they probably will. I'm not sure why this gentleman told me to bring the docs in, I explained they were from an outside pharmacy. We'll be there anyway for an appt, so figured no time lost. Besides, maybe it will be a nice day and a nice walk around the VAMC.....it's a beautiful location!

VetsLady and, Proud to Be