Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Yesterday The Senate Passed S. 1963

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday the Senate passed S. 1963, the "Caregiver and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2009", which would provide comprehensive new support to caregivers of severely disabled veterans and improve health care services for women veterans and all veterans who rely on the VA. I wanted you to know that this important victory would not have been possible without the grassroots efforts of thousands of DAV members and supporters throughout the country. With your help, DAV was able to play an important role in getting S. 1963 through the Senate and we will continue working with Congress until this legislation is enacted into law. For your perusal, I have included DAV's press release below.

Thanks for all you have done. ------------------ FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 20, 2009

Senate Passes Major Veterans Legislation to Aid Caregivers, Women Veterans

WASHINGTON, Nov. 20 - The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) applauds the U.S. Senate for unanimously approving S. 1963, "The Caregiver and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2009." As passed, S. 1963 creates a comprehensive new program to support family caregivers of severely disabled veterans, and strengthens VA health care programs for women veterans, homeless veterans, veterans with mental health needs, and veterans suffering from traumatic brain injury. "The Senate's overwhelming statement of support for this bill sends an unmistakable message that our government has an obligation to provide comprehensive support to family caregivers of severely wounded and disabled veterans," DAV National Commander Roberto Barrera said. "S. 1963 also contains landmark provisions that will help ensure that women veterans, who have played an increasingly essential role in our military, receive quality, timely and gender-appropriate health care services from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), equal in every respect to that afforded male veterans," Barrera said. S. 1963 combines the content of two measures previously approved by the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, S. 252 and S. 801, into a single VA health care omnibus bill. Since the House of Representatives has already passed similar, but separate veterans health bills, the two bodies must now reach an agreement on identical legislation before it can be sent to the President for his approval. "DAV looks forward to working together with the Senate and House Veterans' Affairs Committees and other interested veterans service organizations to develop the strongest veterans health care legislation we can to aid all veterans," Commander Barrera said. "In particular, we believe that disabled veterans from all eras could benefit from family caregiver support services and will work to see that the final legislation moves in that direction," he said. Commander Barrera expressed DAV's gratitude to several Senators who played leading roles in developing and moving the legislation successfully through the Senate. "Senator Daniel Akaka, Chairman of the Senate's Committee on Veterans' Affairs, has been a tireless champion for veterans health care programs throughout his tenure, and his skillful work on S. 1963 was central to the Senate's approval," Barrera said. "A veteran himself, Chairman Akaka has proven to be a reliable and effective leader, always ready to stand up for our nation's veterans." "Senator Richard Burr (N.C.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, worked in a truly bipartisan manner with the Chairman to help craft this legislation and then provide crucial leadership to help it overcome barriers that may otherwise have derailed it," Barrera said. "DAV applauds Senator Burr for putting the interests of veterans first." "DAV also applauds the relentless efforts of Senator Patty Murray to enact legislation that will improve the lives of all veterans, especially women veterans. Senator Murray's landmark women veterans health care legislation was included within S. 1963, and her passionate advocacy for women veterans has been crucial throughout this process," Barrera said. The 1.2 million-member Disabled American Veterans, a non-profit organization founded in 1920 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1932, represents this nation's disabled veterans. It is dedicated to a single purpose: building better lives for our nation's disabled veterans and their families. More information is available at www.dav.org

Edited by allan

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Does anyone know where you can find the details of the bill? (i.e. how much money they're talking, what is required to be a caregiver, etc?) I know none of the details are set in stone before it goes to the president, but I'd like to try to read up on it.

There are some not-so-subtle cues that they (politicians) are hinting at with this bill by no including any veteran before 2001. If they really were legitamately concerned with veterans they'd include all of them. They're just doing this so that they can say "we support the vets", but not enough to actually have to pass a bill that will cost them ass-loads of money until well after their careers are over. Could you immagine how much more this bill would cost if they were to include a bunch of vets who are on the verge of retiring and whose disabilities are starting to creep up to the 100% mark??

They care enough about the vets to get elected another term, not to do what is actually best for them. Fiscal responsibility goes out the window when they decide to start wars, but to take car of the people they send to war it's a different story.

"In particular, we believe that disabled veterans from all eras could benefit from family caregiver support services and will work to see that the final legislation moves in that direction,"

Don't give up yet.

At any rate, it's better some vets have this opportunity than no vets. It's good that it passed.

Bob, Im on A&A myself. Are you saying you think the rates for A&A are going to increase whe the veteran receives care from a family member?

Nope A&A rates are not going to increase, however a "stiped" will be provided for the caregiver, as well as access to insurance. Now why is this important... well right now the VA will only provide for 5 hours of contractual in-home care, and another 2 hours of fee-basis care which can be provided by family etc.

Now while A&A is called aid and attendance let us remeber that it is in fact to compense veterans for loss of "quality of life" due to paticular, or overwheling injuries. A&A is not to actually provide for aid and attendance - go figure. It is in the end special monthly compensation, not A&A...

However I digress, the key here is that it will allow for the veterans fanilies to recieve a stipend, for the care they give. Now my wife gets paid for 2 hours of care per day (thats the max), and I get a home care aid for 3 hours, and a homemaker aid for 2 (they are actually the same person). That still leaves me short 17 hours. I personally pay for 4 more hours of care directly to the same aid working for the contractor. This leaves 13...assuming 5-8 hours of sleep (HA!) and I am short 5 hours. In fact I spend many hours alone, and if its not here in my room, I cant get to it.

Now with this bill I can direct that my current caregiver (the same for the last 4 years) is to be my directed one. That person will get the stipend, and hopefully eliminate what I am now paying and provide for full-circle care. Basically the "stipend" amount is to equal that paid to local care providers. My wife, for her fee-basis hours gets $14.50 an hour. I would assume something close to that for rural care etc.

The VA will be doing a lot of hashing out of paperwork etc., but I cannot help but see this being carried out thru fee-basis, pretty much like they handle the 2 allowable hours now. As importantly, this will open up the hours to home care to exceed the allowed 5 hours granted now. Contract care-givers can expect a healthy boost in hours from this, since it stipulates that they can be used as well.

Personally I disagree with the after 9/11 clause even though I am entitled under it. They limited it to limit cost, but that don't make it fair. Honestly if the VA has a program, except ones only for the blind, I qualify. I have supported this bill from the start with letters to my congressman etc., since if I only qualify for this what does someone who is less hurt than I qualify for? I was told by a VA social worker (while she was doing her nails) that I was lucky to get what I was... many vets weren't getting that much. (I still want to slap the woman).

So, don't expect a raise in you SMC. Howveer if you have a family member caring for you full or part time, they will now get paid for it... and some other benefits. They do have to meet all training requirements. Yet thats not new my wife had to attend a special class prior to being awarded the fee-basis for 2 hours. So, it is a program that can be of great help, to some veterans and their families. A spouse can, hopefully, be able to care for their tramatically injured vet without financial ruin.

Bob Smith