Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where's My Gaf's Now ?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Have anyone noticed the psychologists do not include GAF's on medical/psychological visits records anymore?

I get copies of all my medical records and visits at least once a month for all visits that month. I have been asking my psychologists where the GAF? they all said they do not utalize the use of it on their records. This has been over a year now.

I even asked for them to put it on at least one as my appointments records and they state they won't. They say too much emphasis has been placed on using the #'s in the past and they are not likely to be used during normal counseling sessions.

I told them I didn't want to leave anything open for the VA to come in and reduce my % for not having verification, and not having #'s documented, and they said, we don't use that system anymore.

This is 3 different ones, 2 at one VAMC, and 1 at another VAMC.

I told them my appointment mail that comes to my house each month has typed across the top "Needs New Gaf." But no one will put it in!

Anyone else experiencing this??

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Maybe go to a different VAMC that has a psych or see a civilian psych. I d ask before hand if they will write in a GAF.

It's really hard to doctor shop at the VA rofl.....it has never worked for me yet I did try to get into Dorn VA when I moved to SC in 2003 but they were so screwed up I just decided to keep going to Augusta VA where I have 3 great docs mental health, PC and Cardiac and Augusta is a lot larger facility 2 hospital buildings downtown and uptown and Dorn is smaller than either of the Augusta buildings... same company and nothing alike when I am ready to die I will go to Dorn for treatment until then I will drive 70 miles.......

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

It's really hard to doctor shop at the VA rofl.....it has never worked for me yet I did try to get into Dorn VA when I moved to SC in 2003 but they were so screwed up I just decided to keep going to Augusta VA where I have 3 great docs mental health, PC and Cardiac and Augusta is a lot larger facility 2 hospital buildings downtown and uptown and Dorn is smaller than either of the Augusta buildings... same company and nothing alike when I am ready to die I will go to Dorn for treatment until then I will drive 70 miles.......

I think of it as policy shopping, not doctor shopping. Maybe not all the vamc's have the same "no gaf" policy within the area.

I get a gaf score with every visit to the shrink.

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

I have not gotten even one GAF score in the past seven months. I have a Vet center visit and PCP same day Wed. 25th I will ask what is up.

I mean not even from my VA shrink.

Edited by stillhere

I don't know why, but I always end up being assigned to the Chief Psychiatrist of whatever facility I have gone to. I don't think it is a good thing though. I must be complicated. I have not noticed if I have received a GAF for every visit, but I know I get them fairly often.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
I don't know why, but I always end up being assigned to the Chief Psychiatrist of whatever facility I have gone to. I don't think it is a good thing though. I must be complicated. I have not noticed if I have received a GAF for every visit, but I know I get them fairly often.

Bonzai,

Do they tell you the GAF?

Do you have to ask them for it?

Or, do you just see the GAF after you request a copy of your records?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Vync, You have to get a copy of your records and then you will read it there, that's if it is there!

Carlie, I will pm you this evening.

My point is I keep getting info in the mail with appts on it that has in BIG LETTERS ON THE HEADING OF THE PAPER.

...NEEDS NEW GAF..................................NEEDS NEW GAF..................................NEEDS NEW GAF