Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where's My Gaf's Now ?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Have anyone noticed the psychologists do not include GAF's on medical/psychological visits records anymore?

I get copies of all my medical records and visits at least once a month for all visits that month. I have been asking my psychologists where the GAF? they all said they do not utalize the use of it on their records. This has been over a year now.

I even asked for them to put it on at least one as my appointments records and they state they won't. They say too much emphasis has been placed on using the #'s in the past and they are not likely to be used during normal counseling sessions.

I told them I didn't want to leave anything open for the VA to come in and reduce my % for not having verification, and not having #'s documented, and they said, we don't use that system anymore.

This is 3 different ones, 2 at one VAMC, and 1 at another VAMC.

I told them my appointment mail that comes to my house each month has typed across the top "Needs New Gaf." But no one will put it in!

Anyone else experiencing this??

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I zoomed by the VA hospital during lunch. They would not give me my records from the MH visit last Thursday. They are awaiting approval from the psych doc and the supervisor in the records department.

How long does it normally take before everything is in the system and ready for release?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I zoomed by the VA hospital during lunch. They would not give me my records from the MH visit last Thursday. They are awaiting approval from the psych doc and the supervisor in the records department.

How long does it normally take before everything is in the system and ready for release?

At my VAMC, after a visit with my shrink, I walk from the MH office to the Release of Info office ask for a copy of todays mental health progress notes and it's printed right on the spot and given to me.

Never heard of these approvals they are requiring

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

I think I read on someone else's post that they review MH data and certain info in the C-file. Apparently, they may choose to not release certain data for security reasons (both national security and personal security).

The strange thing is that I went straight to the Release of Info office last week before leaving and they gave me a printout of everything. Unfortunately, the MH section was incomplete because the lady took notes on paper.

Then again, the Release of Info office smells heavily of copier toner. It could be making them fussy and simply wanting to clear the waiting area.

I doubt anyone else here is from Birmingham, but I would be curious how they are treated.

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

While having asked my primary MHCP numerous times to list a gaf with no avail, maybe I need to diplomatically saysomething to the effect as perhaps our sessions are not proceeding at a mutual acceptable rate/pace, and maybe it would be beneficial for my well being to seek the counsel of someone who is interested in assisting me not only with my diagnostic issues, but also with the compliance needed for the continuance with my VA claim. That way I am putting the ball directly in her court, either write one or I will seek another therapist.

I really don't know what gives with these therapists. All 3, and esp my Primary.

I cannot sit being idle waiting, asking, requesting...I have seen what the "beast" can do and I will not subject myself to that mistreatment again. Took me too long to get where I am, and cannot/will not let a freaking score dismiss me.

Some may think/feel this is frivolous but if you were treated/mistreated declared deceased, received notice to sever all that was granted you would be very leary too. Well next month will tell the answer...No more mr (me) nice guy(gal) my life,future,and financial as well as mental health rides on this little freaking score.Thanks folks!! ;)

Every VAMC has a daily staff position in the ER

titled POD - it stands for Psychiatrist of the Day,

although this is not where I would go to get a new gaf

score recorded in my records, unles on that particular day I was

experiencing either suicidal or homicidal ideation with a plan

and had a flat affect.

GAF is only one factor of a comp rating and can be quite over-rated

as it is a momentary snapshot. It can change from day to day,

or basically remain about the same.

Also, prior to any reduction in compensation the vetern is

"supposed" to be sent a leter that states VA is proposing a reduction in benefits - always respond to anything like that with a request

for an exam and a hearing prior to any reduction taking place,

then VA can't touch your comp until those things are done.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I got my recent records in the mail and my GAF score was on mine. I did not have to ask for it or do anything special.