Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where's My Gaf's Now ?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Have anyone noticed the psychologists do not include GAF's on medical/psychological visits records anymore?

I get copies of all my medical records and visits at least once a month for all visits that month. I have been asking my psychologists where the GAF? they all said they do not utalize the use of it on their records. This has been over a year now.

I even asked for them to put it on at least one as my appointments records and they state they won't. They say too much emphasis has been placed on using the #'s in the past and they are not likely to be used during normal counseling sessions.

I told them I didn't want to leave anything open for the VA to come in and reduce my % for not having verification, and not having #'s documented, and they said, we don't use that system anymore.

This is 3 different ones, 2 at one VAMC, and 1 at another VAMC.

I told them my appointment mail that comes to my house each month has typed across the top "Needs New Gaf." But no one will put it in!

Anyone else experiencing this??

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Remember that GAF's are put into your file by your doc. Also remember that there are docs on your side, and there are other docs who are not so favorable. If you get an uncooperative doc, then go to your VA and fill out a form to change docs. For example, if your doc either wont put your GAF's in your record, or puts in numbers you think are unfavorable, simply request a new doc.

When u see the new doc, its ok to explain why you changed docs...tell him you want a doc who is more interested in your health care than one who wants to meet all the VA's numbers.

It make take a few changes, but you should be able to find a "Veteran friendly" doc. I think all docs should be "Veteran friendly"..after all, do you want to give all your personal history to a guy who hates you and who has proved that with very damaging remarks in your medical record?

If every Vet did this, then pretty soon those "Veteran friendly" docs would have all the patients, and the Vet "unfriendly" docs would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs with no patients....and their bosses would wonder why 100% of their patients switched to another doc. The "unfriendly" doc would have a choice...either become a "Veteran friendly" doc, or get fired, because hospital admins really watch closely docs who have multiple patients complaining and switching to another doc.

I put in the paper work to swithch docs...that doc called me and asked me why? I happen to know that other Vets also put in paper work to be switched away from her. I told her that I did not think she was all that interested in my health care, and that I would withdraw my request if she would demonstrate that she was on my side.

Now, she pretty much does what I tell her to do..she knows if she doesnt, that I will complain. I think she is on some sort of probation, and if she gets more Veteran complaints, she gets fired.

I wont put up with Veteran unfriendly docs, and you shouldnt have to either. If you cant trust the doc to do what is in your best interest, then why follow his or her health care plan? Unfortunately, not all docs are good docs.

Edited by broncovet

I have been researching where it states how often a GAF score must be given, and have found that the VA has been trying to decrease its usage since 2003; due to it only being a snapshot of the patient on a given day. However, there are a lot of doctors in the VA system that give GAF scores because if you put enough snapshots together, you get a good overall picture.

Like Broncovet, I too have changed doctors, when I felt that they were detrimental to my treatment. I had a doctor, who changed my medications, and then blamed my change in mood/personality on my home situation; which hadn't changed at all. She wouldn't listen to me that it was the medication, because in her mind the new medications didn't affect people that way. I requested a new doctor, and was put back on my old medications, and the change in my mood went away - imagine that.

Louis

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder

I think only Mental Health Docs give GAF's at VA now. It did not used to be that way but that seems to be the picture.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.