Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If 100% Does The Va Give You Option Of 100% Or Tdiu

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I may be off track here, still trying to learn but considering my conditions I may/may not qualify for 100% not sure but I don't want to be surprised one day. My fear is that

if I am rated at 100% the VA may not let me work again. From what I understand if granted TDIU, you cannot continue to work.

What I don't want is the VA telling me I can't work anymore. I'd much rather take 90% and have a full time job then 100% and not be allowed to work.

If a person is 100% does the VA given the option of TDIU or not, if given the option I would turn TDIU down.

Sorry for the rambling

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Au Contraire, you DO have to apply for TDIU. Using VA Form #21-8940 "Veteran's Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability".

If you DEPEND upon the VA automatically "giving" you TDIU..........well, go ahead....just call me when you get it because I, too, want to still believe in miracles.

I know you like disagreeing with me.

Yes you have apply for IU if you WANT it.

I was answering the original poster, in case you missed the first sentance. This veteran does not want it. Thus he does not have to apply for it.

He is worried the VA will not allow him to work.

Please put my comment into context. I will repeat. A veteran does NOT have to apply for IU.

Thanks for pointing out the standard SO answer to a question though. And I appreciate the smart ass comments to go with it. I tend to direct my answers at the person that asked the question. Since you have been on my ass lately, I'll add further comments to every post so you know who's question I was answering. This TBI veteran(the poster) has reading and writing difficulties. A simple answer is much better than a complete rundown of VA policy and procedure.

Edited by timetowinarace

If you DEPEND upon the VA automatically "giving" you TDIU..........well, go ahead....just call me when you get it because I, too, want to still believe in miracles.

Without this comment, I would not have taken offence.

Yes, I do understand being disagreeable. I am disagreeable in my opinions. I don't beleive I add those kind of comments to my opinions though.

Joseph J Clancy Jr. marion Indiana I don't want to be 100% sservice connected anymore I want to be 90% service connected so I can work full time again. I have my 100% serrvice connected USAF pay. I' I00% service connected by the USAF also.

Edited by Joey Clancy

Joseph J Clancy Jr. marion Indiana I don't want to be 100% sservice connected anymore I want to be 90% service connected so I can work full time again. I have my 100% serrvice connected USAF pay.

If you are rated at a scheduler 100 percent SC, that is not due solely

to a MH disability and if you do not hold TDIU status . . .

Your allowed to work and make all the money you want.

Hello Joe,,,

As Carlie is pointing out to you, there is a difference. Please check your rating and see WHAT you are SC for and if there is any mention of TDIU.

You are taking a gamble of trying to work if TDIU at 100 percent. You have no guarantees that your health, whether Mental or Physical will hold up to allow you to obtain gainful employment. And if the VA finds out you are working when TDIU is the rating award then you risk , retaliation and lose of benefits....many that could be State and Federal , like Property Tax Exemptions .

Yes ,,, I understand the need for the Veteran to want to work..... but sometimes our brain is operating on our military training of man up , toughen up, do your job and do it well. In reality the Veteran could be dealing with diseases , injuries that are moving faster than what the Veteran can really admit or comprehend. I guess it is kinda , sorta, maybe is a form of DENIAL. I have this problem too. Most Veterans want to be self sufficient , and we are resourceful by training and our pride for our country and what it stands for.

I would think this over long and hard ......and make sure that your 100 percent is schedular and NOT TDIU. Most Veterans that are 100 percent Schedular are usually too sick to work. I can tell you though I am only at 40 percent ,,,,,, I am by schedual law 38 cfrs and M21s , diagnostic codes, suppose to be at 100 percent on only one of the chemical exposure diseases. Yes I may have to go TDIU but that it not suppose to be the rating I want OR that the VA is legally suppose to award ....at least not at this particular period of my claim and life. ......It will be a course that still will take time due to our waiting period backlog situations at ROs across the nation. It does not matter what RO you are at. They are all jammed.

I would also say to try and look at yourself on age , overall health and of course try to think where are you going to be in say 10 years. You are asking VA to take away something that is very difficult to obtain for most veterans. A 100 percent rating. A decision that has taken most Vets 10 years, 15 years , or 20 years OR MORE. I personally do not like this type of reasoning. The Cons overwhelm the Pros .

Joe , thank you for your service and being a member here. Your question is a good one and others out here in our Veteran community should view this question and the possible effects of their decision on this one. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.