Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Periods Of War Defined

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

there are occassions when it does matter if you are era veteran or not, for example if you served during periods as defined below but not in combat you would still be considered that era veteran.

hope some find this helpful

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 3—ADJUDICATION

Subpart A—Pension, Compensation, and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

General

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 3.2 Periods of war.

This section sets forth the beginning and ending dates of each war period beginning with the Indian wars. Note that the term period of war in reference to pension entitlement under 38 U.S.C. 1521, 1541 and 1542 means all of the war periods listed in this section except the Indian wars and the Spanish-American War. See §3.3(a)(3) and (b)(4)(i).

(a) Indian wars. January 1, 1817, through December 31, 1898, inclusive. Service must have been rendered with the United States military forces against Indian tribes or nations.

(b) Spanish-American War. April 21, 1898, through July 4, 1902, inclusive. If the veteran served with the United States military forces engaged in hostilities in the Moro Province, the ending date is July 15, 1903. The Philippine Insurrection and the Boxer Rebellion are included.

© World War I. April 6, 1917, through November 11, 1918, inclusive. If the veteran served with the United States military forces in Russia, the ending date is April 1, 1920. Service after November 11, 1918 and before July 2, 1921 is considered World War I service if the veteran served in the active military, naval, or air service after April 5, 1917 and before November 12, 1918.

(d) World War II. December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946, inclusive. If the veteran was in service on December 31, 1946, continuous service before July 26, 1947, is considered World War II service.

(e) Korean conflict. June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955, inclusive.

(f) Vietnam era. The period beginning on February 28, 1961, and ending on May 7, 1975, inclusive, in the case of a veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period. The period beginning on August 5, 1964, and ending on May 7, 1975, inclusive, in all other cases.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101(29)) (g) Future dates. The period beginning on the date of any future declaration of war by the Congress and ending on a date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Congress.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101) (h) Mexican border period. May 9, 1916, through April 5, 1917, in the case of a veteran who during such period served in Mexico, on the borders thereof, or in the waters adjacent thereto.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101(30)) (i) Persian Gulf War. August 2, 1990, through date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101(33))

[26 FR 1563, Feb. 24, 1961, as amended at 32 FR 13223, Sept. 19, 1967; 36 FR 8445, May 6, 1971; 37 FR 6676, Apr. 1, 1972; 40 FR 27030, June 26, 1975; 44 FR 45931, Aug. 6, 1979; 56 FR 57986, Nov. 15, 1991; 62 FR 35422, July 1, 1997]

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sort of leaves Cold War vets out in the cold?! the way I see it the Cold War is a ' period of time' , especially for those after Vietnam and before the Gulf War.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101) (h) Mexican border period. May 9, 1916, through April 5, 1917, in the case of a veteran who during such period served in Mexico, on the borders thereof, or in the waters adjacent thereto.

wow, I didn't realize they considered this a real war, my Dad and Uncle Gideon were in D Troop 7th Calvary stationed at Camp Douglas, Arizona when they were ordered to join up with General Pershing and ride into Mexico after Pancho Villa and that was back when they still used horses that would have been a lot worse than Mech vehicles, but in a way it was good for them they were out by the time we sent troops to France in WW1.

Me I am in the Vietnam War era and Gulf War which is covered on this one

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101(30)) (i) Persian Gulf War. August 2, 1990, through date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.

only in govt gobbeldy goop would my fathers service in 1916 and part of mine 1990-1991 be in an H and I paragraph of the same page rofl

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder
Sort of leaves Cold War vets out in the cold?! the way I see it the Cold War is a ' period of time' , especially for those after Vietnam and before the Gulf War.

I think they consider all military service from 1945 end of the war thru the fall of the Soviet Union as the Cold War all you get is a commendation paper and they won't even make a medal for it and if you don't ask for the paper they won't give it to you

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were on the DMZ in Korea during the Cold War that would be somewhat stressful I think. Same being on the border of East and West Germany knowing you would be the first to die.

• HadIt.com Elder
If you were on the DMZ in Korea during the Cold War that would be somewhat stressful I think. Same being on the border of East and West Germany knowing you would be the first to die.

why would that be stressful John? Because they told us our life expectancy was only 15 minutes if the North Koreans decided to come south? Or would it have been the numerous border incidents they created while I was there, kidnapped a woman from Freedom Village August 1975, they beat a Major in Panmunjom and broke his larynx and took a brief case he was carrying, they sent the 1/31st in convoy of 2/12's into panmunjom only carrying wooden work handles, one company had weapons but they were ordered to stay on the trucks unless the NorthKoreans started shooting first gee thanks, or maybe my going away present Operation Paul Bunyan, John I am already 100% for PTSD based on the incident in Alaska, I like many veterans have multiple stressors, but I agree any vet who served on the borders either in Germany or Korea probably had some stress issues over it sometime while they were there or after they left. The VA doesn;t care how many stressors you have just can you prove any of them so for me the 4 General court martials over the mugging and robbery in Alaska in Feb 75 was the only one they dealt with in my stressor letter, they denied me based on the hospital reports, but then I found the general court martials in DC, if the Army thought what happened in Akaska to send 4 men to Leavenworth prison for 15 years, then maybe it was more than a litle shoving.......

• HadIt.com Elder

Peacetime or War I believe that the Military is a stressful situation and the Military are at far greater risk for injury and trauma than civilians.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.