Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interpreting Diagnostic Code On Scars

Rate this question

*Bergie*

Question

Can someone explain the 38cfr part 4 definition on scars D/C 7801. I have several surgical scars ranging from 1/2in to 4in on my body. How do I apply this to my scars, I believe I have 6 inches of scars in lenght but not 6 sq in, that seems like a large area?

Thank you,

Bergie

7801 Burn scar(s) or scar(s) due to other causes, not of the head, face, or neck, that are deep and nonlinear:Area or areas of 144 square inches (929 sq. cm.) or greater40Area or areas of at least 72 square inches (465 sq. cm.) but less than 144 square inches (929 sq. cm.)30Area or areas of at least 12 square inches (77 sq. cm.) but less than 72 square inches (465 sq. cm.)20Area or areas of at least 6 square inches (39 sq. cm.) but less than 12 square inches (77 sq. cm.)10Note (1):A deep scar is one associated with underlying soft tissue damage.Note (2):If multiple qualifying scars are present, or if a single qualifying scar affects more than one extremity, or a single qualifying scar affects one or more extremities and either the anterior portion or posterior portion of the trunk, or both, or a single qualifying scar affects both the anterior portion and the posterior portion of the trunk, assign a separate evaluation for each affected extremity based on the total area of the qualifying scars that affect that extremity, assign a separate evaluation based on the total area of the qualifying scars that affect the anterior portion of the trunk, and assign a separate evaluation based on the total area of the qualifying scars that affect the posterior portion of the trunk. The midaxillary line on each side separates the anterior and posterior portions of the trunk. Combine the separate evaluations under §4.25. Qualifying scars are scars that are nonlinear, deep, and are not located on the head, face, or neck.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Bergie

The key is if the scars are deep if none are discribed as deep they will try to bundle them together and rate the using 7804. Another major factor after the deep is the measurement I have a 9 x 10 x 1.5 cm 90 sq. cm but raters will not calculate the area if it is not stated as Sq cm they do not consider it.

I noticed that the exam sheet has been changed and now the examiner is required calculate that area. At my c&p exam I mentioned it and presented the regulation and the examiner explained it is not his job he is required to measure it.

Hope this helps

Edited by kw34

• HadIt.com Elder
Bergie

Another major factor after the deep is the measurement I have a 9 x 10 x 1.5 cm 90 sq. cm but raters will not calculate the area if it is not stated as Sq cm they do not consider it.

Also, if you have the many smaller scars from the staples used to close the incision, those areas constitute the boundary for measuring the scar. Most C&P examiners only measure the scar itself.

What about if the vet had surgical procedures whereby the insertion of screws were placed in the foot? The scar areas are reddened/raised/protrusion of the screws can be seen and felt on the under (soul) aspect of the foot. Additionally, the vet has to purchase shoes 1 to 2 sizes bigger to prevent the abrasion of the shoe to the trauma area of the foot?

Now does he just put in a claim for scar?

What about pain?

The deformity of the screw protrusion?

Shoes ill fitting with wrong sizes in an attempt to allieviate further trauma to foot?

• HadIt.com Elder
What about if the vet had surgical procedures whereby the insertion of screws were placed in the foot? The scar areas are reddened/raised/protrusion of the screws can be seen and felt on the under (soul) aspect of the foot. Additionally, the vet has to purchase shoes 1 to 2 sizes bigger to prevent the abrasion of the shoe to the trauma area of the foot?

Now does he just put in a claim for scar?

What about pain?

The deformity of the screw protrusion?

Shoes ill fitting with wrong sizes in an attempt to allieviate further trauma to foot?

1. File claim for painful scars secondary to S/C condition/s. Total award will most likely be 10%.

2. Deformity of screw protrusion? If that makes your scars painful, well that's covered on line 1. As such, any scar is a deformity.

3. As far as the shoes, Your doctor my have to prescribe you some special kind of shoe to help your condition or justify using larger shoe for the same- if so file for an annual clothing allowance. Use VA Form 10-8678.