VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestion From My Vso

Rate this question

Sgt Schmidt

Question

I had an appointment with my VSO yesterday to file a claim for DMII and glaucoma. When we finished up the details for my claim, I asked him if he thought I should file a claim for PTSD. He sat back in his chair and said, well Jeff, how do you feel right now. I told him I feel like I always do, depressed. I explained to him that I don't enjoy being around people and that I've lost most or all interest in things I used to enjoy years ago. I've had this feeling for years... I told him I'm on cymbalta and that my doctor had incresed my dosage because of suicidal thoughts. I've been on anti depressants for over 10 years. I also told him my wife told me I'm not the man she married 13 years ago. Yea, on second marriage.

Anyhow, after talking to him he gave me a card with the suicide prevention hotline number on it, and said that I should file but maybe wait a little while since I have 3 new claims pending. Doesn't want to clog the system. :-)

40 years later and it's still stuck in my head like it was yesterday.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie,

I haven't had a MH doc dx me with PTSD but I did spend a month in a local hospital back in the early 90's for attempted suicide and also was told at the time that I wasn't normal. I asked my doc what the hell normal was. That was the last time he saw me and he refered me to another doc.

Jeff

Sgt,

Although it is not necessary to have a MH disorder such as PTSD

prior to filing a claim for it - have you had a MH doc Dx you

with it yet?

carlie

Pete,

My VSO is really a good person and has helped many veterans win their claims. (including mine) He handles all the paper work and makes calls as needed to the VA. I think he just didn't want to get to much going on my file at one time to prevent it from getting shuffled to the bottom of the pile. He was also very concerned about my symptoms of PTSD. My family doc is another story though. In my own opinion, I feel that he thinks any sc disabilities are a joke. That's just my opinion though. Haven't really asked him.

Jeff

I can't believe that a VSO would treat a Veteran like that.

• HadIt.com Elder

1. File the claim and let the VA sort out the rest. If what you say is factual than I'd think that the VA will see your claim is at lease plausible.

2. Gather your own knowledge toward how the claims process works. Since your on hadit you have started that process.

Its your claim, no body in the world cares more about the results than you. Take control and at lease find a more knowledgeable VSO. I think that you seen one the "jobbers", whom only punching a time clock to get that extra retirement in a few years.

Your VSO must know that it will cost you monetary benefit to wait.

Edited by poolguy11550

• HadIt.com Elder

File the claim to preserve your effective date. You can get the evidence later. It would help to have a DX of PTSD, but if you have proof of stressors then you should be able to get a PTSD DX while you wait for the VA's wheels to turn. If you VSO has too much on his plate use another organization. It is your claim and you are the one that has to prove it. Do you have combat awards or medals? If so then your stressors are conceded.