Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Va Destroyed My Brother

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thursday my Brother Mike will have his funeral in El Paso. The Church seats 185 people and they are expecting an overflow crowd. Everyone who knew Mike liked him as he was a standup guy. He always was there to help. He was a great Dad, Now his wife can;t stand to live in their home cause although she has great memories and they had a beautiful home its not the same with out him. She plans to move to Austin Texas and live with her parents now.

On December 25th Mike in despair took his own life. Why did he do it? No one can be sure but most of his family believe it was because of his pain and the incompetent bastards who run the VA Medical in El Paso. Mike had good insurance but trusted the VA cause he had been service connected for two conditions at 10% each and after talking to Dr Craig Bash and some contacts I have we knew he would get 100% TDIU when he could no longer work. Mike went from and large active man to someone who needed help to get out of his bed. When he went anywhere it hurt. On Decemebr 22nd he was forced to retire from his job

He took Medicine to help his condition and was give anti biotics that were not appropriate for him by VA. A couple of weeks ago he was taken by ambulance to get morphine and waited in an ambulance for 11 hours and than was sent home and dumped onto his bed. He had a catheter and his wife did not know how to help him.

I cannot tell you how angry I am at this point. Mike had good insurance and I had been begging him to use it instead of the VA.I plan to dedicate the rest of my life to see that the VA does not get away with this again.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete53,

I am really sorry to read such news. My heart cries for you and your family. I'm glad that you are thinking about your sons and your brother's wife, as well as other siblings. But do...please...tend to you. Prayers go up on behalf of you and your family during this time.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Pete, When you are ready, I'd like to read Mike's obituary and honor his service information --added to our Fallen Comrades. My heart is heavy for you and your extended family. You are in my prayers. ~Wings

Dear Hadit Friends:

Thanks to you and my responsibilities I am going to put the VA on the back burner for now. Last night we gathered as a family and talked for hours with our each other telling Mike and Pete stories remembering how we grew up and passing on some of the memories but most of all it gave his wife and kids some peace and they were happy.

I had decided to move on acting in anger will not accomplish anything. I plan to gather and submit evidence to a lawyer for either 1151 or tort claim. I did read that if an award of as much as 2500 is made a black mark is added to the person responsible. But that is probably weeks or even months away. Right now my focus is to console my sister in law and her sons and my brothers and sisters.

My friends on Hadit have been a big help to me.

I only recently got TDIU. I understand despondency and pain. I too expect that with proper care, your brother would be alive right now.

The most important thing to concentrate on when the time comes to work on VA is to do it for justice, not revenge. Seek revenge and it may destroy you too. Justice might benefit many and would honor his memory.

Beyond that I can only offer my most heart felt condolences for your family's loss. :angry:

The loss of the physical being of a brother or sister veteran is like losing a little piece of your heart. May Mike rest in the glory of the everlasting and enjoy freedom from this place of turmoil. Peace be with you brother we will all see you again when we cross that river and get to the other side.