Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Claims Based On Hazings

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

Carlie

I see that you are good at doing research and hope that you can find some info for me.

I have been trying to find claims that were filed because of hazings that took place and later affected the hazed individual. Would appreciate any help Carlie can provide and any one else out there. Thanks.

68mustang

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

68 being a sailor, hazings were acts with common occurance.

Like getting Frocked to PO then they tacked on your chevrons.

My arm was black and blue for a month.

Some hazings were downright assaults. We had one where a new person in the shop would be piled on with a person named tiny being the last one to pile on. Tiny was a nickname for a very large New Yorker 6'4 and 260.

Shell back initiations were another method with some serious hazing and downright humiliation.

I am sure there have been PTSD claims filed over this.

The BVA should have a lot of them on file.

J

68 being a sailor, hazings were acts with common occurance.

Like getting Frocked to PO then they tacked on your chevrons.

My arm was black and blue for a month.

Some hazings were downright assaults. We had one where a new person in the shop would be piled on with a person named tiny being the last one to pile on. Tiny was a nickname for a very large New Yorker 6'4 and 260.

Shell back initiations were another method with some serious hazing and downright humiliation.

I am sure there have been PTSD claims filed over this.

The BVA should have a lot of them on file.

J

J

Thanks for the response. You are right they happened quite often. Some of them could be described as physical and in some cases sexual assaults depending on the hazing. I don't know if you are familiar with greasing hazings for some engineering rates, but they could and did get ugly. Some say that it is a rite of passage and all in fun. It makes it worse when you are not aware that such stupid acts are allowed to take place and you are caught off guard when it happens. Thanks.

68mustang

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember the MM and BT ratings and the greasings.

I also remember a Boot being sent to the Shipfitter shop for HT Punches.

Back then, you had to take it of you could have really gotton hurt.

J

This is a "gray" area since what one might consider "hazing" another might consider "no big deal." I did the equator ritual and had to go through all the ritual stuff but I wouldn't consider it hazing but another inidvidual might.

I know there are probably cases of hazing leading to mental illness that are SC. Or maybe the hazing triggered the illness while in service. I could definetely see the latter.

jerr

Carlie

I see that you are good at doing research and hope that you can find some info for me.

I have been trying to find claims that were filed because of hazings that took place and later affected the hazed individual. Would appreciate any help Carlie can provide and any one else out there. Thanks.

68mustang

This is a "gray" area since what one might consider "hazing" another might consider "no big deal." I did the equator ritual and had to go through all the ritual stuff but I wouldn't consider it hazing but another inidvidual might.

I know there are probably cases of hazing leading to mental illness that are SC. Or maybe the hazing triggered the illness while in service. I could definetely see the latter.

jerr

jerr

Thanks for your response. I believe the type of hazing has a lot to do with how someone might react to it. Especially if the person is warned not to report it or there would be a price to pay if it became known that it took place. So much for using it as a tool for teamwork and a rite of passage.

68mustang

We didnt call it "hazing" back then. What ever you called it, I was thrown by 4 men into a huge box, and fell about 10 feet as a result and fractured my leg. They put a cast on it, and now I have arthritis in that knee.