Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copy Of C&p Exam

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

I just had a C&P Monday with two more coming up next week. I know this has been answered many times that a C&P exam copy can be obtained at the VAMC. I called the VA clinic to see if I could obtain a copy of the C&P exam and I was told that I had to request the copy from the Houston regional office and that it might take up to six weeks or more to get them. My question is ,does it matter what type of C&P exams copies are available without having to request them from the regional office? Or was I misinformed by the VA clinic? Thanks.

68mustang

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Not releasing the C&P report/notes at the VAMC must be something fairly new. Four years ago, I had a C&P done at Portland Oregon VAMC and got the report within two weeks. In November 2009, I had a C&P exam done at Prescott Az. VAMC and was told I had to get a copy from Arizona VARO (regional office) in Phoenix. Being a snowbird, Phoenix sent the C&P report to my home state VARO in Boise Idaho. I sent every VARO who had their fingers in it a release of info. form. Still haven't heard back from any. Delay, Delay, Delay.

Good point Allan,

My VAMC didn't want to give me a copy of one of my reports so I had my own primary doc print it out for me. I guess they didn't want me to see what was in it.

The VA rater didn't think I had a copy so they put in the SOC a statement that was non-existent in the exam. Trust me, I read it 8 times.

They stated in the SOC that I stated, "I was treated prior to the military." Not only was this incorrect but it WASN'T EVEN IN THE EXAM.

I immediately turned in my NOD (reconsideration) with the comment, "you must have reviewed the "wrong" exam." I was never treated prior to the military plus this statement is not in my exam."

I only said this because I was embarassed for them.

The decision was eventually reverse but this showed me IT IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO GET A COPY OF YOUR EXAM ANY WAY YOU POSSIBLY CAN. GO THROUGH ALL CHANNELS WHETHER IT BE YOUR PRIMARY DOC OR ANOTHER PHYSICIAN THAT WILL DO IT.

JUST GET IT

Jerr

What they don't want is for you to get a copy of a C&P and object to it's negative opinion before the SOC is issued. If they can get the denial out without ordering a followup opinion for corrections, they can possibly delay your claim by another two yrs or put you in the appeals process.

It is much to your benefit to get a copy of those VAMC C&P's and view them carefully. If anything is not correct you need to shoot a letter off to the VARO/AMC/BVA as soon as possible before the SOC/SSOC is sent to you.

Edited by jerrbilly

The way I always get a copy of my exam is by calling the VA's 800 number and requesting a copy of the exam report on the same day of the exam. The rep at the VA submits a request on some form (?) and within a few weeks I receive my copy in the mailed even before it shows up in the sytem as being recieved. I am batting 100 percent after more than 5 exams.

The way I always get a copy of my exam is by calling the VA's 800 number and requesting a copy of the exam report on the same day of the exam. The rep at the VA submits a request on some form (?) and within a few weeks I receive my copy in the mailed even before it shows up in the sytem as being recieved. I am batting 100 percent after more than 5 exams.

Thank you all for the responses. From all the responses I have come to the conclusion that it is not a " one size fits all" for getting copies of a C&P exam.

68mustang

• HadIt.com Elder

jerbilly,

what you & I have experienced is what i'm trying to empress on all Vets.

sailorman,

"The way I always get a copy of my exam is by calling the VA's 800 number".

This may have worked for you, but when I tried this they never sent it.

The request for a copy of your C&P examination "must" be in writting & signed.

I often use the medical release of information form & fax it to the VAMC release of records section. I generally get what I need in around week.

Do not buy the BS that requesting a copy of your C&P will set your claims back by months.

Do not buy the BS that the VAMC can not give you a copy of it.

They concealed a fully favorable C&P of mine by hiding it in a packet marked, "FOR ADMINISTRATION PERPOSES ONLY", which was stuck inside my medical records at the VAMC. The VAMC & the VARO refused to send a copy after I requested it for nearly two yrs.

In the denied SOC, the VARO claimed they never could get the C&P dept to provide it.

They play nasty games. Don't let them play them on you.