Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension/arthritis

Rate this question

breedima

Question

I have put in a claim 3 times now for hypertension,It has beed denied 3 times.<BR>I had it in my recored when discharged in 95 as it being high,The claim the first <BR>two times said all further readings were normal.The first time i saw a doctor was<BR>at the VA and they said I had High blood pressure and started treating me for it.<BR>It was the first time I saw a doctor.The last time I had a exam claim the doctor said <BR>it was more then likey it was service connected.The VA denied it again because all readings were normal until I saw a doctor for the first time.How can they be normal if the first docter i saw was at the VA. I have a torn back with 40 % temp increase. They never mentioned the artritis in the back at all only the torn back.Should I bring that to there attention.I am going to file a claim for arthrits of the arms and legs scince they are causing me extreme pain at times,Should I claim the Back again?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was treated for hypertension in 1980 while on Active Duty. I was also treated for chemical poisoning from working with gasoline and jet fuel. I have since had been diagnosed and hospitalized (6 months hospitalized..) for blood pressure problems and Portal Vein Thrombosis. I was hospitalized with a cyst and surgery on my pancreas. I have suffered form intestinal disease and chronic pancreatitis, and also have liver disease (now being tested for what type of liver disease). I am very curious how the hypertension claims are handled..

I will find out soon if my latest appeal for my denied claim will include the hypertension if/when the latest claim and it's appeal gives me 100%. I am currently at 50%.

I have put in a claim 3 times now for hypertension,It has beed denied 3 times.<BR>I had it in my recored when discharged in 95 as it being high,The claim the first <BR>two times said all further readings were normal.The first time i saw a doctor was<BR>at the VA and they said I had High blood pressure and started treating me for it.<BR>It was the first time I saw a doctor.The last time I had a exam claim the doctor said <BR>it was more then likey it was service connected.The VA denied it again because all readings were normal until I saw a doctor for the first time.How can they be normal if the first docter i saw was at the VA. I have a torn back with 40 % temp increase. They never mentioned the artritis in the back at all only the torn back.Should I bring that to there attention.I am going to file a claim for arthrits of the arms and legs scince they are causing me extreme pain at times,Should I claim the Back again?

What were your readings in service and during your first year after separation?

J

if you are asking 'me' what my hypertension reading were, I really don't know what the numbers were.. I had many symptoms.. I also had severe swelling of the limbs, edema, and more from chemical poisoning.. and the hypertension is only part of my illness that started on active duty..

I have all the paperwork... and so does the VA and all the submitted reports and records..

I tried to read the medical records, and found it them very hard to read the doctor's writing..

how anyone can read medical records written by hand is beyond me..

B)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I can definitely relate to the handwriting problem. I remember having to take a few of my records to my current doc so he could translate them for me. I have hypertension, but it is controlled with medication. I am still looking for a claim approach as it being caused by medication the VA gave me for years. My cardiologist appointment is next month, so I will see what he says.

breedima,

Did the doc verbally tell you that the hypertension was most likely caused by military service? My PCP doc has verbally told me a number of things are caused by whatever, but he keeps neglecting to place it in my records. Make sure you have reviewed your VA treatment records and can highlight the nexus statement. If it is not in your records, the VA will continually deny your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

You were treated for it in service. That is a good thing. Medical handwriting is a bear. The Numbers I am looking for are Systolic over Diastolic. if you have a copy, you should attempt to decipher the readings.

I have attached the regs for HTN. One question I have for you? Do you have a Dic that will verify your history and make a statement that your HTN had its on set in service?

You may need a Nexus.

Diseases of the Arteries and Veins

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note (2): Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note (3): Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

I was hospitalized last year for it..

long story short...

after an operation to remove the cyst on my pancreas, I spent 6 months in the hospital..

the operation went wrong..

what apparently happend on the operating was that when they tried to remove the cyst, it broke open..

they abondonded the first try and wheeled me to ICU.

in 2 days they tried again..

the acid from my pancreas had spilled into my guts..

after a few months of fighting many problems, still in the hospital,

very long list of infections.. they thought they had it all under control..

they relased me, 3 days later I was admitted again..

another month and half I was released again,,

3 weeks later I reposted to my primary check-up.. I was in very bad shape, but I made it there,, how I don't know.. I could not get the energy to go one inch without pushing with all my might..

they took the systolic and diastolic blood pressure, and were freaked out,,

apparently my pressure had dropped so low, I was in danger of dying, they called 911 at the clinic..

,, cut out lots more info to make this short..

after a few days at a local hospital and being stabilized, I was transferred back to the VA... and spent one more month in the hospital..

I was released without the a ability to walk without help..

I was so skinny I had no muscles left.. My intestines were not working properly and trying to learn to eat again..

I had been tube fed the whole time while in the hospital except for the last few days

The tube was in my intestines..

I learned about hypertension to the extreme..

but, knowing what the reading of my hypertension where while on active duty, I don't know, I wil try to look at the records.. again.. last time I looked it hurt my eyes and needed to call in some egyptologist type hyroglyphics person..

I did have it confirmed by others that did say I had it on active duty, I just can't remember all the different readings and meds I took..

** I do remember taking propanolol - Inderal for several years..

Edited by retiredat44