Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hyperlipidemia

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

Berta picked up on this a couple of years ago.

In my case for EED for heart disease I was diagnosed with hyperlipidemia that was noted in my SOC and my chest pains were denied as heart disease in 2003. I went on to have a heart attack in Oct.05 I then sent the VA the info of my hospital stay and surgery and was granted heart disease but only back to the date of my heart attack.

The case below states a law where if condition such as hyperlipidemia causes a disease it should be considered back to that date.

Will this help me if I refer to this law? Am i reading this right?

In this case, the Board notes the facts are not in dispute

and that the medical evidence of record includes findings of

hyperlipidemia. The Board notes, however, that

hyperlipidemia is not a disability for VA compensation

purposes. Nor is there any evidence of a chronic disability

having been incurred as a result of hyperlipidemia. The

Court has held that, in cases such as this, where the law is

dispositive, the claim should be denied because of the

absence of legal merit. See Sabonis v. Brown, 6 Vet. App.

426 (1994). Therefore, the Board finds entitlement to

service connection for hyperlipidemia must be denied as a

matter of law.

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You know every RVN vet will die from some kind of heart failure eventually. The VA might as well just give every widown DIC. Instead they will try to narrow what IHD is as per AO exposure. I am 60% for athro secondary to DMII. I doubt the VA is going to SC me as IHD. They are probably looking at a million cases of some kind of heart disease for RVN vets. I was a youngster, but many RVN vets are well into their 60's or even 70's when heart problems get more serious. You know they want us to die before we get SC'ed for IHD. Then our widows have to stuggle with DIC and the VA knows many will quit. I bet they have stats on that.

John999 that is the reason I am trying to get this done quick. If I die between now and the time of the VA getting around to it at least you an I will have DIC and I also have the insurance for the wive.

Being 90% with PTSD and heart disease I am really paranoid that I am still working in sales and dealing with the stress of all this things.

I have sent letters to both of my senators and my rep in the house to get this done have not heard anything yet.

Could you explain-"Well if nehmer happens that would be even better for me, since I filed for heart disease back in 2003 for agent orange related to Dm2 and was denied."

Because you posted:

"I am 60% for athro secondary to DMII"

If you mean atherosclerotic heart disease due to DMII- then the VA would award DIC to your wife if you die from atherosclerotic heart disease due to the DMII- as contributing to your death.

I thnk the regs for IHD ratings will be comparable with the Atherosclerotic heart regs-I dont foresee you gettng any monetary award-unless your CAD percentage shoul;d be hiogher but maybe a change in the type of heart disease?

This topic had something to do with hyperlipedimia-I havent checked out the older posts.

Hyperlipedimia is a not ratable condition which VA doesn't classify as a disability.It can be treated with diet,meds,and or exercise.

But can become serious.

At first I discounted this condition- that a C & P doctor documented in a SOC denial after my husband died.First time I had ever heard of it- it was not mentioned in his med recs.I didnt think at first ot was serious.

Then Long Story- lots of medical research- and then the C & P doc's statement became critical evidence when I proved the VA caused his death.His untreated hyperlipedimia (diagnosed only by the C & P doc after his death )had added to his untreated heart and brain disease (atherosclerosis due to DMII)

spacer.gif

“Hyperlipidemia

What is hyperlipidemia?

Hyperlipidemia is an elevation of lipids (fats) in the bloodstream. These lipids include cholesterol, cholesterol esters (compounds), phospholipids and triglycerides. They're transported in the blood as part of large molecules called lipoproteins.

------------

spacer.gif

Risk Factors and Coronary Heart Disease

AHA Scientific Position

Extensive clinical and statistical studies have identified several factors that increase the risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack. Major risk factors are those that research has shown significantly increase the risk of heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) disease. Other factors are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, but their significance and prevalence haven't yet been precisely determined. They're called contributing risk factors.

The American Heart Association has identified several risk factors. Some of them can be modified, treated or controlled, and some can't. The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of developing coronary heart disease. Also, the greater the level of each risk factor, the greater the risk. For example, a person with a total cholesterol of 300 mg/dL has a greater risk than someone with a total cholesterol of 245 mg/dL, even though everyone with a total cholesterol greater than 240 is considered high-risk.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4726”

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta this is what that Jan 2009 IMO the cardiac doctor my lawyer found focused on

Hyperlipidemia is an elevation of lipids (fats) in the bloodstream. These lipids include cholesterol, cholesterol esters (compounds), phospholipids and triglycerides. They're transported in the blood as part of large molecules called lipoproteins.

although the BVA Judge was a lot more impressed with Dr Boscarino's study that was posted in the Congressional Record dealing with hypertension and CAD in veterans with PTSD he specifically noted this study in his decision but the attorney insisted that the Jan 2009 IMO was needed to overcome the 3 bogus C&Ps the VA had from their NP, their radiologist and MD never once did they have a cardiologist do a C&P on me I had 3 cardiologist IMOs and the Edgewood Doctors IMO he was a staff doctor at UCLA after he retired from the Army as a bird Colonel despite the fact he used Army soldiers as human guinea pigs after service he had an impressive array of credentials but for me that does not mitigate what he and the other doctors did at Edgewood from 55-75 I don't care if he was "just following orders" that defense did NOT work at Nuremberg

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sure hoping I die from an SC condition. This is something my wife is really looking forward to. Every time she gets out the credit card I almost have a heart attack. I think she knows this. If I can time it so I die from SC condition,and before age 65 we (she) gets big insurance payout. I feel like a winner already. She says she will pray for me and light a candle every day. I am a lucky man.

Could you explain-"Well if nehmer happens that would be even better for me, since I filed for heart disease back in 2003 for agent orange related to Dm2 and was denied."

Because you posted:

"I am 60% for athro secondary to DMII"

If you mean atherosclerotic heart disease due to DMII- then the VA would award DIC to your wife if you die from atherosclerotic heart disease due to the DMII- as contributing to your death.

I thnk the regs for IHD ratings will be comparable with the Atherosclerotic heart regs-I dont foresee you gettng any monetary award-unless your CAD percentage shoul;d be hiogher but maybe a change in the type of heart disease?

Sorry Berta i thought I told you my story I am SC for Heart disease and CAD at 60% I was granted this after a heart attack in Oct.05 I was denied on appeal in June 05 and had originally filed for heart pain in 03 along with my DM2 claim and was denied. I was given a walking stress test in some delapidated little hell whole that was it.

Now the VA knew I had hiyperlipedimia and my PCP did nothing no meds no nothing. I have my records from them. I appealed in 04 and the VA did not even give me a C&P and just denied again and sent me a soc in June of 05.

My cardio doc wrote a letter for my claim that said more than likely IHD was present but the proper testing was not done. or something like that.

This topic had something to do with hyperlipedimia-I havent checked out the older posts.

Hyperlipedimia is a not ratable condition which VA doesn't classify as a disability.It can be treated with diet,meds,and or exercise.

But can become serious.

At first I discounted this condition- that a C & P doctor documented in a SOC denial after my husband died.First time I had ever heard of it- it was not mentioned in his med recs.I didnt think at first ot was serious.

Then Long Story- lots of medical research- and then the C & P doc's statement became critical evidence when I proved the VA caused his death.His untreated hyperlipedimia (diagnosed only by the C & P doc after his death )had added to his untreated heart and brain disease (atherosclerosis due to DMII)

spacer.gif

“Hyperlipidemia

What is hyperlipidemia?

------------

spacer.gif

Risk Factors and Coronary Heart Disease

AHA Scientific Position

Extensive clinical and statistical studies have identified several factors that increase the risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack. Major risk factors are those that research has shown significantly increase the risk of heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) disease. Other factors are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, but their significance and prevalence haven't yet been precisely determined. They're called contributing risk factors.

The American Heart Association has identified several risk factors. Some of them can be modified, treated or controlled, and some can't. The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of developing coronary heart disease. Also, the greater the level of each risk factor, the greater the risk. For example, a person with a total cholesterol of 300 mg/dL has a greater risk than someone with a total cholesterol of 245 mg/dL, even though everyone with a total cholesterol greater than 240 is considered high-risk.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4726”

Well iris and 800# confirmed that my clai for EED was ready for decision since Dec. 1,09 the mid of Jan. they both again confirm that a decision had been made and wnet to the rater (I guess I am getting something not sure) In mid March iris and 800 confirm file sent back to development??? Guess they did not have one of their eyes dotted.

Anyhow if your claim has a decision and goes to the rater what is the % that it is getting a award of something or does the rater also denie claims in his position??

Don't think I have seen that made clear before. Anyone know for sure?