Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I have been having problems with getting angry or short with people. I researched some posts, and there was a link in an ad to a Depression Self Help Test and the results said I was moderately depressed. Can constant back pain and always snorting and sniffing and waking up congested, lead to depression or work on your mind. Other people have said constant pain has lead to anxiety or depression. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What would be the process of getting started on a claim. I will not have a history of depression with my own doctor or the VA. I just got in the system because I was told by a VA person in Dallas that I did not qualify. The only time I took any meds for depression was after my late wife died of cancer. It was just free samples that my family doctor gave me. I think a months supply. I got out of the service in 1987, have been suffering with back and sinus problems since. I am also waiting on a decision on a tinnitis claim that was denied and I had a IMO and a hearing test done. I was hoping someone with prior experience on these issues could help. Thanks

Chronic pain sure will make you crabby and w/out relief is depressing as all get out.

But sinusitis??? I've 'had it' for over 50 years, was born with it and I'm here to tell you you can learn to live with it. Just go real easy on those otc sinus meds and most especially the nose sprays. They'll hook you for sure. (been there, done that B) )

Now, that's not to say you can't file a claim on it...

Edited by Jayg

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 20% your injuries could aggravate depression. Also need more info. How long have you been out? What you are service connected for? Who told you that you did not qualify?

If you are 20% your injuries could aggravate depression. Also need more info. How long have you been out? What you are service connected for? Who told you that you did not qualify?

I am rated at 10%DDD, 10%sinusitis. Got out the second time in 1987. Got out the first time in 1980. Had a history of problems both times. I was told I did not qualify for benefits in 1989??in Dallas,Tx at the VA hospital by an employee working at the info desk when you go in. I was young and dumb and believed her until last year(Oct 2008). Had surgery to try and fix the problem and little relief was experienced. Wake up every day with sinuses plugged up and spending the whole day sniffing and snorting trying to breath freely. I am in pain in my lower back and pain in the buttocks when ever sitting for more than 5-10 minutes. It is really hard when you drive a truck for a living. I can hear everyone now say to quit driving. Do something else, where else could I go with a high school education and make between $900-1500 a week?

In responce to Jayg, I'm glad you have toughed it out for 50yrs.. I have never made light of yours or anyone elses disabilities. Some people can swim a mile, some can't swim at all...

Chronic pain absolutly is a contributing factor for depression. I have a 50% rating for depression due to daily chronic headaces (service connected). A VA shrink asked me to tell him about my depression and I asked him "what would you like to know about? The days I wake up bawling or the days I could care less if I take another breath?" Hurt every day and the depression can be overwhelming at times.