Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I have been having problems with getting angry or short with people. I researched some posts, and there was a link in an ad to a Depression Self Help Test and the results said I was moderately depressed. Can constant back pain and always snorting and sniffing and waking up congested, lead to depression or work on your mind. Other people have said constant pain has lead to anxiety or depression. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The bottom line is pretty much the doc. If he grants you a "nexus" you should eventually prevail. He needs to say something like, "The Veteran is depressed and it is at least as likely as not due to

____________ condition suffered in the military. Or, The Veteran is depressed secondary to ..........(service connected condition" ) Pretty much, if your doc says something like this, you will win it and if he wont, you have to find another doc who will give you a nexus, or you wont get it. JMHO.

• HadIt.com Elder
Just an update. I was at my Primary Care Team for an app't for my back, and spoke to them about chronic pain and sinuses bstill being infected after approx 6wks.. Dr. put me on 20 days of antibiotics to help clear it up. Also spoke to him about my constant back problems and pain in my buttocks. I told him I may be depressed and he put me on Amitriptyline and I went in for a follow up app't.. I told him I would like to speak with someone in mental health and they did.. After app't with Nurse Practioner in mental health I p/u my records and she has noted depression and rated my GAF at 60.. Said the chronic pain and sinus has lead to the depression. I then went to the Missouri Veterans Commission and filed a claim for chronic pain, loss of a creative organ(Erectile Dysfunction), and depression.. I hope the out come will be good.

Also received a Statement of Case and responded to them about the denial for my tinnutis claim. I have requested a BVA hearing. My MO. Vet Rep said I should consider hiring an attorney?? Should I do this or what should I do??

Thank folks at hadit.com, Scott :mellow:

Congratulations on taking charge of your claim, ScottCGas. My most positive thoughts are with you for a successful outcome.

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

If your back injury is SC and the doctor will say that your chronic pain disorder is secondary to the back injury you should be able to win this claim. You might get 30% for the depression and chronic pain. You might get 10%. If I got 10% I would sure appeal it. A GAF of 60 is about right for a 30% rating. You have to go for a C&P exam probably. These guys are usually much less giving than a treating NP. For a depression claim I think they will want you to go for a C&P with a shrink.

I have spoke to my Family Dr. and he said that he didn't want to write a nexus letter.. Would the VA Primary physician write a nexus letter or is he forbidden to?? If he is, who would write one? How to I find a Doctor in my hometown. Who else on this forum would have sound advice??

Thank you all at hadit.com,

Scott

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Scott,

I have had no luck getting a VA doc to write a nexus for me, but others here have said thier doc had no problem doing it. Some non-VA doc's are either too busy or too afraid to write you one. Sometimes you have to find a doc and pay for it, which might be expensive.

• HadIt.com Elder

1 - Diagnosis

2 - Nexus

3 - Doc's opinion that links current diagnosis to service