Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does The Va Keep An Electronic Record Of Decision?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I received a copy of my C file from the RO recently. I thought it was odd the box was only 3 inches thick, when my box, which is incomplete, contains a stack of at least 12 inches of records. The RO has shredded (or they are missing) more than 1000 pages, about 70% of my files. Since there are multiple RO decisions missing from my files, multiple VCAA letters, multiple NOD's etc, does the RO keep an electronic record of the RO decisions, or do they even know about them? I know they keep an e-record of the percentages, but do they keep an e record of the "reasons and basis" for denials?

For about 3 years, I noticed that whenever I filed a NOD, they dont respond to it, ever, instead, they just issued a new decision pretty much just giving "lip service" to my NOD.

Yes, I have filed a Special Handling Request due to shredded documents. I saw an "internal" memo that they put in my c-file, saying they did not think my case was a valid "shred" case, because some of the documents I listed in the SHR were in my file, while others were missing but outside of the dates in the fast letter. That is, they pretty much admitted shredding, but said it was ok, because it was way before the "october incident" and year 2002 shredded documents did not qualify for special handling under the fast letter.

Earlier, I probably would have been mad about this, but it just does not suprise me anymore.

If the VA looses their own decisions, how can they possibly respond to my NOD's, when they dont even know why they denied me?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I remember something about after your claim is certified to BVA the RO

makes a little barebones backup type file before sending your cfile to BVA.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have heard that when you have an active claim the VA creates a temporary file for that particular claim. When it is done it goes into your C-File and is stored. It is a scary thought that the VA has your original C-File and it could go up in smoke for all we know. Are C-Files in Florida stored in a hurricane proof, water proof, fire proof vault? I doubt it. You know the St. Petersburg VARO is very close to the water. In a big storm it would probably be underwater. Do you think when hurricane warnings for a Category Five storm are up for the west coast of Florida the VA employees worry about our files?

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a database, that we call the "corporate database" that holds all the information from the "code sheet". This database holds a record of the claimed conditions and relevant dates of grants, denials, increases, reductions, etc.

If it becomes necessary to work on an old claim file that hasn't had its information entered, the database has to be "back filled" with the historical information.

Some decisions were started in one database, but were then converted to work with the new system, and when you get one of those cases, it has to be checked to make sure it was converted correctly (correct labels for diagnoses and effective dates, etc).

The narrative, however, of the specific reasons for the grants or denials is not saved in the database. It's found only in the claim file as a hard copy.

The claim file itself is the best record that there is of previous ratings, and all evidence and other action that was taken on any of a veteran's claims.

A "temp" claim file is created when a file has to go to the Board of Veterans APpeals or the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. It's got copies of everything that's necessary to handle any currently pending issues while the original claim file is in Washington D.C.

*/ The comments and opinions expressed above are solely those of the commenter in their personal capacity and do not in any way represent the Department of Veterans Affairs. */

Interesting James, and thank you. So, when we call the 800 number, does the customer representative have access to this "corporate" data base to answer our claims questions?

Also, James, can you answer the question mentioned in an earlier post about archived (paper) files. That is, is the Veterans claim file kept together, or is the "old stuff" archived and stored in a seperate location?

I got a copy of my C file, and it is missing about 1000 pages and I am trying to determine if maybe the other 1000 pages or so is "old stuff" that has been archived and was stored in another location.

• HadIt.com Elder
Interesting James, and thank you. So, when we call the 800 number, does the customer representative have access to this "corporate" data base to answer our claims questions?

Also, James, can you answer the question mentioned in an earlier post about archived (paper) files. That is, is the Veterans claim file kept together, or is the "old stuff" archived and stored in a seperate location?

I got a copy of my C file, and it is missing about 1000 pages and I am trying to determine if maybe the other 1000 pages or so is "old stuff" that has been archived and was stored in another location.

I don't know, I've never called IRIS, so I don't know what they have access to. I suspect they don't have access to the corporate database that is a central part of the job that I do.

Your claim file should be kept together, from the day after you leave service until your widow's death claim is worked, no matter how many volumes it grows to. THe only time anything shold ever be seperated is if your c-file is at BVA or CAVC and the "temp file" (which only has the bare necessities in it for any currently open issues such as a knee you just claimed while your HTN is off at BVA being decided) is left at the Regional Office. Getting just a copy of your Temp Folder would be a great way to be missing a few thousand pages of stuff.

I don't know what information you asked for or what they sent you, or what their rationale may have been for sending you an incomplete version of your C-file. At a minimum, I would ask for copies of all claims you have ever made (whether they are on 21-526 or 21-4138 forms), a copy of all rating decisions and Statements of the Case, all Notice of Disagreements, copies of the VA medical examinations and other evidence used in making those decisions, all VCAA letters, and copies of your service treatment records.

Hint. Don't send thousands of pages of medical evidence that boil down to "the vet currently has a disability." That can be done easily enough with a two page medical record. If you're trying to prove something, it should be that the condition you have right now is caused by or related to service. A thousand pages that go into excruciating detail about your coronary artery disease or your stroke treatment don't actually help at all. Don't get me wrong; submit enough to show continuity of treatment since service. But don't just swamp the system with paper, because it complicates things incredibly.

No claim file should be more than three volumes is my personal opinion.

*/ The comments and opinions expressed above are solely those of the commenter in their personal capacity and do not in any way represent the Department of Veterans Affairs. */