Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Internal Revenue

Rate this question

grent

Question

QUICK QUESTION HERE:

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW DOES THE US INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE HAVE THE LEGAL POWER, RIGHT AND ABILITY TO SEIZE A VETERANS MONTHLY CASH DISABILITY COMP IF HE OWES UNPAID FEDERAL TAXES

CAN THE IRS ISSUE A "levy" AND THEN GARNISH RIGHT OUT OF THE VETS SAVINGS OR CHECK DEBIT ACCOUNT?????????

I THOUGHT THE LAW SAID SOMETHING LIKE VETERANS CASH BENEFITS ARE NOT ATTACHABLE BY ANY COURT

I THINK FOR CHILD SUPPORT THEY CAN STATE FEDERAL OR LOCAL

JUST SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IN THE BACK OF MY MIND AS FAR AS THE IRS IS CONCERNED

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

QUICK QUESTION HERE:

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW DOES THE US INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE HAVE THE LEGAL POWER, RIGHT AND ABILITY TO SEIZE A VETERANS MONTHLY CASH DISABILITY COMP IF HE OWES UNPAID FEDERAL TAXES

CAN THE IRS ISSUE A "levy" AND THEN GARNISH RIGHT OUT OF THE VETS SAVINGS OR CHECK DEBIT ACCOUNT?????????

I THOUGHT THE LAW SAID SOMETHING LIKE VETERANS CASH BENEFITS ARE NOT ATTACHABLE BY ANY COURT

JUST SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IN THE BACK OF MY MIND AS FAR AS THE IRS IS CONCERNED

If a veteran owes the US Government any funds, the government can and will garnish a veterans disability check, tax refund, and in some cases a government retirement check. Its the law. It doesn't take a court for the US government to garnish a federal payment, the government just doesn't pay....

• HadIt.com Elder

Under 38 U.S.C. 5301

Claims from creditors.

You are protected from everyone ecxept for claims from the United States.

They are going to get theirs.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

"JUST SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IN THE BACK OF MY MIND AS FAR AS THE IRS IS CONCERNED"

Something else you might wish to keep in mind:

Seagoville Federal Prison

just sayin'

Grent

You have it about right. Veterans benefit compensation funds are "protected" from garnishment from other creditors so that the VA and IRS can get it all. The VA and IRS dont want to have to "compete" with other creditors trying to garnish your checks. It amounts to the government seizing Veterans monies, while preventing others from doing the same all while escaping "due process".

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
QUICK QUESTION HERE:

like SS checks though I think they are limited by law to just 15% they have to leave you enough to live on the IRS garnished my SSD check when I first got it they took almost 200 a month until they got back their 3,000 dollars.....they do not take all of it at once